Swarovski Z5's

Takem406

I shot a guys Z5 a month ago on a Sako while at the range. WOW! The image was very crisp!
I'm planning on getting an STW this next year and want a $1000-1500 scope. It seems everyone is going Nightforce but they seem heavy and complicated for someone without formal LR training.
I really want to keep the weight of this rifle down for backcountry and long walks for deer.
How is the 3.5-18x44? This seems perfect for the hunting I do. I can crank it down if I'm elk hunting timber or crank it up for deer hunting the prairie.

What other scopes in this class have this much variation in power? How do they compare to Huskemaw? My buddy just got a 5-20 and they are about the same price. Cant they both be equipped with turrets marked in yards, not MOA? How do they compare to the high end Vortex or Trijicon?

I have two Z5's (both 3.5-18x44BT) and really like them. They are super-clear, light, and I haven't been able to knock one out if zero yet. For a lightweight hunting rifle, I would not hesitate to get another.

BUT

if you are looking to shoot out past about 700 yards (maybe a touch more with the 7STW) I would recommend going with a scope designed for LR dialing (NF, S&B, Huskemaw, etc). Here is the reason - if you get the Swaro Ballistic turret model, you are limited to 13MOA of elevation from where you set your zero-stop. To be clear, this is NOT total elevation, so a canted rail can't add - you only get one turn past the zero stop that you have to set.

On my 280AI, I set zero at 300yds and can dial to 750. This is as far as I would shoot with this rifle anyway, so it works great for me. However, if my intent was to shoot farther than that with this rifle , I'd go with a different scope. If you do go Z5/BT I would highly recommend the 4W reticle.

Hope this helps

Brandon

Ditto what varmintH8R said. I have two and love them but I don't plan to shoot past 500 yards. I also have a z6 with BT that I bought used off this forum. I would go nightforce for the LR stuff on a mid weight to heavy rifle, but on a standard weight or light rifle the Z5 in 3.5x18 44 BT is my choice. I have spent some time behind a nightforce and can't tell the diff between them and my Z5 z6. Sold all my Leupolds it's swarosvki for me.

So look at the Huskemaw for going to 800? How is 5x in heavy timber on close range shots? Probably won't hunt much elk with it as I'm going to only hunt during the archery season, but if I did... Not sure I'd hunt out that far, but I do plan on slapping steel and a few prairie dogs to get a feel for the rifle.
Id probably only hunt out to 500 with it. Realistically probably a tad over 400. So the Z5 should be perfect?

What kind of mounts should I use? I've used the Leupold twist lock style for years on my other guns with no issues.

Didn't Nightforce come out with a simpler scope for the average Joe? I know these are amazing scopes but MOA no matter how much I read on it confuses me. Though I understand ballistics in inches.

I shot my mulie doe yesterday at 375 with my old 308 and a 3-9, wow! 9x isnt the best for that far. First big game kill past 300. But now I'm hooked! Then I followed it up with a yote at 350. I've shot prairie dogs at 500, but they give you time to set up and crack off a few practice/warning shots.gun)

Out West it seems we either go long or eat beef.

I live in the East but hunt every year out West. I have a Z5 3.5-18 on my HS Precision 300 Win Mag. Took a Texas Desert Mule Deer at 360 in Nov 2012, and I took a New Mex cow elk at just over 400 in Oct. The lower power settings work great for brush and general hunting in the East. My Dakota 97 280AI wears a Z6 which is 30mm. I had to get a cheek rest to align my eye. I use Talley mounts on both. I had Red Hawk Rifles build my 13 year old a 280AI. I put a Z5 on it for him in Talley mounts.
I agree with long range shoot/hunt but I just haven't seen a need for anything other then what I have set up.
A buddy of mine has a pricey Leupold with the Boone and Crocket reticle. He never got it to match the load so the lines in the scope never worked well for him. He changed it out for a Mark 4 with mildots. given his job he uses mil dots daily. I still talk to him in yards and inches. When he tells me the game is whatever distance then I turn the BT to that mark , hold dead on and let it eat!

Id probably only hunt out to 500 with it. Realistically probably a tad over 400. So the Z5 should be perfect?

Based on that and your comments below, I think this will be a very good choice for you!

What kind of mounts should I use? I've used the Leupold twist lock style for years on my other guns with no issues.

+1 on rharfo's recommendation of Talley's. both of my Z5's wear 'em.

Didn't Nightforce come out with a simpler scope for the average Joe?

Not sure on that one. I have a NXS 5.5-22x56 MOAR on my true LR rig. I really like it, and it does everything I want and more. -BUT- I wouldn't swap it with my Swaro's on my lighter, medium range rigs. For me it comes down to matching the scope (and brand) to the application. FWIW to my eyes the glass on my Swaro's is considerably better than that on my NF NXS.

FWIW to my eyes the glass on my Swaro's is considerably better than that on my NF NXS.

Your statement is what I expect, based on what a lot of others have posted on the Forums. NF NXS for mechanical soundness, repeatability of turrets, and multitude of crosshair options. But there are other quality scope brands having better glass. And Swarovski is best known for the consistent quality of their glass.

Your statement is what I expect, based on what a lot of others have posted on the Forums. NF NXS for mechanical soundness, repeatability of turrets, and multitude of crosshair options. But there are other quality scope brands having better glass. And Swarovski is best known for the consistent quality of their glass.

Might get two of these then! The wife sure could use a high end scope, come on tax return!!

What are the price differences between the NF and Swaros?

My last Z5 3.5-18x44. BT cost me just shy of 1600. There was a member selling one last week for 1200 I think.....?
I traded some scopes in on one at riflescopes.com sample list .
I bought the Z6 2.5-15x44 BT off this forum and paid 1800. Saved me several bucks.

The New Mex cow elk I shot in October was the last day, last 10 minutes of light at 400+. The Z5 allowed me to do that and my freezer is full feeding my family.

Buy it and never look back.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.