WTB 264 Win Mag or 7mag Sendero but ? rifle twist rates

SRHeer

Houston TX but come from Colorado where I like to
I am seriously considering buying a Sendero 264 Win Mag - this 26in barrel has a twist rate of 1-9. The Bergers VLD bullet/ballistic chart recommends an optimum of 1-8 twist - now if I use Hornaday's ELD 143gr bullet which I would think would be comparable to that of Berger's VLD 140gr as far as optimal twist rate - will accuracy be affected that much using the Sendero's 1-9 barrel twist verses say the recommended 1-8? I am thinking that with the higher bullet velocities of 264 win mag that the larger VLD and ELD bullets will stabilize - is this correct?

I also have been thinking about buying a Sendero 7 Rem Mag. Its twist rate is 1-9.25 but recommended optimal twist rates for Berger's EOL Elite Hunter 195gr is 1-8 and assuming it would same or very close for Hornady's ELD 175gr - so how fast then will these bullets need to be traveling for them to stabilize well coming out of a Sendero 26in 1-9.25 twist barrel?

I plan on hunting antelope and elk in Colorado. I don't plan on doing a lot of hiking while hunting and
I am a bit sensitive to recoil - so have been looking at the heavier Sendero line.

I use a 270 now but figure it couldn't hurt to shoot something with 6.5 or 7.0mm bullets that have better BCs and cartridges that allow for more down range energy and killing power.
All comments appreciated!
Thanks

Berger offers the 180 Hybrid bullets, too, and they work well in the 9.25" twist 7mm's. I shoot them in my factory Sendero SF 7mm STW (9.25" twist). They are not labeled or listed as a "hunting" bullet... However, over the last few years there has been an exceptional number of positive posts from people using them on game, and having excellent results. I have not tried them myself, but maybe next season, as our deer season ends on Jan 31. Might try to go this last weekend just to see if I can put some meat in the freezer.

The new 195 EOL's are more of a specialty bullet, and you would need an aftermarket barrel in an 8.0-8.5" twist to properly stabilize them, and I'm not aware of any factory offerings that have that twist rate.

That being said the Sendero in a 7mm RemMag would be an excellent option for the game you specified.

do you need more than a 136 scenar from the .264? my brother had a sendero with a factory barrel it worked real good. he now has an 8 twist Krieger. my 7mm is a 1-9 Krieger it is awesome.

My .264 WM has a 1-9" twist and shoots 140 AB's really well, haven't tried Bergers tho. You should be able to get enough RPM to stabilize the Berger I would think. Now if you were shooting a Creedmoor at 2700 fps then you would definitely need the 1-8".

SRH-which is flatter shooting to 600 yards in .264 mag a 123 scenar or a 140 berger?? which is flatter shooting to 600 in 7rm a 140 berger, 168 berger or a 180??

I would say the 140gr VLD for 6.5mm and either 168 or 180VLD in 7.0mm - what do you say roninflag ? I am hunting elk so am planning on using the heaver and best BC possible but I would yes expect a faster shooting even if lighter bullet to maybe travel flatter but since I have little experience with shooting what did you say and then what did you mean by saying they all have vias break?

The lighter bullets are flatter shooting to 600 to 700 yards. the heavier higher bc ones are less affected by wind. all of our magnum senderos have a vais brake which makes them more comfortable to shoot. pm sent.

Do you know the thread dia and pitch for Vais breaks? I imagine that the 6.5mm or for that mater 7mm doesn't kick that much with the vais break installed? But I wonder how much louder they are over say a 6.5 Creedmoor - probably quite a bit - correct?
Do all Sendero mag SF IIs have a Vais break? because the ones pictured on Remington's firearms site do not have break installed?

http://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-sendero-sf-ii

Senderos do not come with a brake from the factory, you will have to add one after you get it. And since you are going to have to remove the barrel anyway to have this done (properly), you might as well have the receiver and barrel threads blueprinted and trued, and the barrel lapped, the chamber and headspacing checked, and a recessed target crown cut, while you already have the barrel off.

I am like you and don't like recoil. My choice is the 264 WM which is ever bit as good as the 7mm mag. Maybe even better. I have pushed a JLK 130gr VLD to 3249 fps with no signs of pressure and pushed the Woodleigh 160gr PPSN to 3261 fps but there is signs of pressure with this load.

SRHeer

"I use a 270 now but figure it couldn't hurt to shoot something with 6.5 or 7.0mm bullets that have better BCs and cartridges that allow for more down range energy and killing power."

I have a pre 64 264 WM and the recoil is less than your 270 IMO, they are loud!

Can you tell me how much more of a drop at 300ft the 160 Woodleigh hits verses the 130VLD? That 160 round nose should stop an elk!
I am using the PPSN which is not a round nose as years ago I tried the Hornady 160gr round nose and it did not perform well. Here is a like to the information on the 160gr PPSN. In Europe the use it for moose. If zero is 300 yards it is 3.6 inches high at mid range and 8.2 low at 400 yards. At 300 yards it is 2704fps and 2597 ft lbs of energy and time of flight to 300 yards if 0.303 seconds which is plenty good for elk.
http://www.woodleighbullets.com.au/bullet-lists/traditional/264q-333q/162

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.