With the rem 700 no longer being made what your action of choice for your long range rifle ?

I find that the Remington actions shoot pretty darn well with no work done to them. Sure, perhaps I've gotten lucky. I've bought two now in the last couple years for $300 and $330, new from online dealers. Do I plan on having them blueprinted, or any of that stuff, Nope. Screw a top shelf barrel on and go shooting... I have three 700s now, all are RR prefix guns. No complaints considering what I paid for them.

Savage 111. Suits my budget and I doubt I'll ever be capable of more than that action is accuracy wise. Was my choice when they were making 700s, still is, and if they start making rem700s again it won't matter to me.
I really didn't like the feel of the Savage action--- at first. But when I built on a Savage action and saw the genius of the barrel but and ease of barrel change I was hooked. Put a hand lapped match grade barrel on a Savage action and install a decent trigger( I favor Rifle Basics) with a stiff stock with a bit of epoxy bedding and you will have a rifle that will impress you and shoot as well as you can hold it, for under $1,000!!!

There are some things you can do at home to clean up the feel in actions. When I order bolts for my actions. I order them .01 under the race way. Then a "Lap" them in with lapping compound for a "Glass" feel.

They have built so many 700 actions it isn't funny. Go a pawn shop of other firearm dealers. You probable get one for around $400.00. At the end of the serial no's. If it's ends with an A, B, or C it's a keeper. Beyond that no. So why worry about actions? Your not keeping the barrel and and Triggertech provides a great trigger that set right in on a 700 action. The adjustment can be done without taking the actions out from the stock. Poundage you can get from a few oz to several pounds depending on what you want. Like somebody said they made 5 million of them.

Link? I didn't see any Remington actions on their site. $525 sounds like a good price.

ETA: Was thinking it was a trued Remington, but it looks totally aftermarket. SA only, and $575. That's the cheapest I've ever seen a custom action for.

Link? I didn't see any Remington actions on their site. $525 sounds like a good price.

ETA: Was thinking it was a trued Remington, but it looks totally aftermarket. SA only, and $575. That's the cheapest I've ever seen a custom action for.
I'd build on one, lacking a lathe I'd screw a Criterion of Shilen on it with a barrel nut, install a Timney or Rifle Basics in a Manners stock and be really happy. Cost May be 1200?

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. Looks like a great action. Of course they're out of stock😠
It's a Remington clone. They will be available again in late February. They only make short action 308 and magnum boltface actions, for now. Call them and get on the waiting list. I've got one and am building a 6 Creed right now. Action is butter smooth and very well made. I'm on top of the list for the mag short action and will be building a 300WSM.

More than that

Action, probably more like 625 (assuming shipping+FFL fees)
Barrel 300 (could be more)
Barrel Nut 30
Trigger 150
Stock 500
Bottom metal 150 (maybe more)
Total $1750+ easily
and then you need a scope/rail/rings etc.

Last edited: