Wind and cold for load test?

Musket_0

Just picked up my new(to me) rifle this week, and fire formed 40 cases. I reloaded 4 different powder charges with 2 different bullets. 8 rnds of each charge, 4 rnds with each bullet.(32 rnds total) Guess I was bored, but thought this is the right way to start looking for the best load for my rifle. Savage 10FP,.308win pre-accutrigger that had only 60 rnds out of it.
The problem is: I am chomping at the bit to test these loads, but a cold snap and snow storm just set in to northeren Michigan. Gusts up to 20mph, and windchill down to -15*. If I start my test in this condition from a heated shoot building, shooting 50yrds for group, is this going to effect performance?
I am fairly new to this, but want to do this right. Should I just suck it up and wait out the storm, or shoot tomarrow and again after the storm? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Thanks in advance for some insight. Jeff

The temps can lower your velocity by changing the powder burn rates, but this is similar to what you are going to face next fall and shouldn't be too much of a change. If the powder that you are using is particularly temp sensitive you will need to test for pressure next summer any way.

The gusty wind is a major problem though. If your purpose is to play with a new toy, go for it. If your purpose is to test for a load's accuracy potential you may very well miss a good load due to wind gusts. It looks like the winds are supposed to drop by about half by mid week. Do you think you can hold out that long without getting the shakes? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Powder is RL22, and I hope I can wait. If Im gonna just play, I might just go up with some fresh unformed cases. Only have another 50 count bag to form up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.