Winchester Model 70 Questions

pburton

Over the years I have had several rifles built on Rem 700 and custom actions. Now I want to build one on a Winchester Model 70 action. I have always been a fan of them, mainly because of the nostalgia. I have a mid 70's Model 70 7rem mag that I have shot a lot of animals with over the years. Currently I have the opportunity to buy an almost new Model 70 SA Sporter CRF in .325wsm, for a very good price. My idea is to build something off of this action. I am not sure exactly what yet, but to get to my questions; Does anyone know what the magazine length of these are? I have heard that they are around 3.025, but was hoping to get some confirmation. This will help with my cartridge decision. Also, anybody build off these actions before? I am having difficulty finding stock options. McMillan is an options, but looking to see if there are others that I am missing. I have searched the internet with very little success. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Over the years I have had several rifles built on Rem 700 and custom actions. Now I want to build one on a Winchester Model 70 action. I have always been a fan of them, mainly because of the nostalgia. I have a mid 70's Model 70 7rem mag that I have shot a lot of animals with over the years. Currently I have the opportunity to buy an almost new Model 70 SA Sporter CRF in .325wsm, for a very good price. My idea is to build something off of this action. I am not sure exactly what yet, but to get to my questions; Does anyone know what the magazine length of these are? I have heard that they are around 3.025, but was hoping to get some confirmation. This will help with my cartridge decision. Also, anybody build off these actions before? I am having difficulty finding stock options. McMillan is an options, but looking to see if there are others that I am missing. I have searched the internet with very little success. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
Hi Paul. My understanding is you can get around 3.1" with minor tweaking.

Hi Paul. My understanding is you can get around 3.1" with minor tweaking.
as far as aftermarket stocks, there are plenty for the win 70--bell and carlson, boyd's laminates, MPI, wildcat, h-s precision, stocky's laminates, mc millian--- just make sure you get the right bottom plate design, NFP, 1pc, or 2 pc--or get the right metal to go with it--I just bought a boys unfinished NFP stock off of ebay to dink around with, gonna try to lighten it up and bed it--- as is it weighs 2.5 pounds but if you want ultralight then check out the mpi or wildcat stocks

I have all winchester rifles. Another option I decided to go with for a pair of custom builds is a legendary arms works (law m704) has a rem 700 footprint and can get crf bolt with 3 position wing safety like a m70

I like my Hogue stock with the full aluminum bedding block on my Mod 70 300WM. Unlike synthetic stocks, the rubber keeps my hands warm like a wooden stock and it is quiet when rubbed against branches, etc. Those fiberglass type stocks make my hands freeze and sound loud when rubbed against branches, collar buttons, zippers, etc. Sounds like a fun project.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.