Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS

@ WildRose...

I've grown out of my long range heavy barrel howitzers it seems.. I much prefer getting back to my roots and tossing a daypack on the back and humping hard and fast into gullies I know hold deer well before sun up.

In saying that, I was out smacking a 6 inch steel plate hung at 471yrds with the M70 EW just yesterday. First three onto the plate, no dramas, after that forget it!

Mine has a 3.5-15x50 NXS with the MOAR in it at present.

@ WildRose...

I've grown out of my long range heavy barrel howitzers it seems.. I much prefer getting back to my roots and tossing a daypack on the back and humping hard and fast into gullies I know hold deer well before sun up.

In saying that, I was out smacking a 6 inch steel plate hung at 471yrds with the M70 EW just yesterday. First three onto the plate, no dramas, after that forget it!

Mine has a 3.5-15x50 NXS with the MOAR in it at present.
I feel pretty much the same. I love my Sendero in .300 Rum but if I'm going to have to carry it more than a mile in the field it's not a lot of fun. I won't dare be taking it at least as a sole gun on any backpacking adventures and If I take it at all the horse gets to carry it for me!

I am wanting to redo one of my 300 M70 stainless models however into a bit heavier and longer barreled configuration but in doing so don't want to add over about a pound, pound and a half at most.

I'm pretty confident with the EW model that anything I can get within 600yds of is just dead, dead, dead, with one squeeze of the trigger but for that 600-1,000yds possibility I want to go a wee bit longer and heavier.

You can read about breaking in my EW 300wm with it's first kill over on the Long Range Hunting and Shooting forum though, you'll probably enjoy it.

Here you go. First Shot On Game.

Yet to nail anything of value with mine! But threads be useless without pics I reckon.

Here's my M70 EW as it currently stands.
W70EW_zps9401737a.jpg

And heres where I practice my mid range shooting, I have a few gongs set up on the face of the hill in the background.
W70EWLRshooting_zpsde96a2e9.jpg

My next step is to get the stock hydro dipped ATAC'S FG, black just sucks balls in the bush round here!

Cheers,

I started this thread to talk about the Model 70 EW. If you dont want to talk about that gun or shooting it then take your ****ing match elsewhere!!

If you want to have an one-on-one battle do it over PM so the rest of us dont have to be tainted by your BS!

Yes Sir.

Wildrose and 375,
Have you either of you skim bedded you EW? Just curious.
I haven't. That's a summer time job as decently as it's shooting now. Actually the factory bedding on mine was pretty decent to tell you the truth.

I don't know what kind of bedding compound they use but I believe it's a heat and pour resin and it's absolutely hell to dig out.

They bedded the lug, just under the chamber about 2.5" and between the front action screw and lug and it seems pretty darn solid.

I pulled it apart, looked at it, then put it back together and torqued the action screws evenly and said, "plenty good for now".

I had mine out of the stock again this morning to lighten the trigger up a bit more, still a tad heavy, the MOA trigger breaks well, but it'll never be a rifle basix LV!

WR is pretty much right on the bedding compound installed at factory. Very tight and as good as I'd do. I'll get my smithy mate to devcon skim bed it at a later date...

Just read this thread for the first time... I've got a Win70 Extreme Weather SS too. After adjusting the MOA trigger to it's lowest setting, it breaks right at 2.75 lbs and very crisp. Like a few have said, it's not as good as some of the fancy ones you can buy, but I am very happy with it.

I also did a complete bedding job using Acraglas gel from Brownells. used a dremel to remove a bit of material from all the way around the action and front/rear lugs... I'm guessing that's what you guys are referring to as a skim bed ??

Was wondering if anybody out there has found an Aluminum 20 MOA scope rail for the WSM (short action) version of this rifle? I've found several steel rails but don't want steel as it will rust over time...

Was wondering if anybody out there has found an Aluminum 20 MOA scope rail for the WSM (short action) version of this rifle? I've found several steel rails but don't want steel as it will rust over time...

Nope, I know that Nightforce list a Steel 20 MOA rail for it. Just get the thing cerakoted, then it'll never rust. I just use a 3.5-5X50 NXS. It'll get me out to 1000 without a canted base, thats far enough for this rifle.

Nope, I know that Nightforce list a Steel 20 MOA rail for it. Just get the thing cerakoted, then it'll never rust. I just use a 3.5-5X50 NXS. It'll get me out to 1000 without a canted base, thats far enough for this rifle.

Good point on coating the rail. I will have to look in to that. Also kind of considering having the scope threads in the action redrilled and tapped for 8-40 base screws.

Right now I've just got a set of Talley rings (base/ring one piece), and after the whole setup is lapped I had to dial about 10 MOA of elevation (from the midpoint) to get the gun zero at 200 yards. I think I got unlucky with how the top surface of my M70 action was machined and it canted the action rings the wrong way.

The way it sits I can dial out to about 775 yards when I max out the elevation travel, which is plenty far for what I want out of my rifle. I would just prefer to have the optics more square for long shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.