Winchester Extreme Weather 264 Win mag

I finally got mine to shoot great! It was a new scope that was bad. Tried another scope and here is the 1st two groups. It went from 2-6" @ 100 yards to these sub MOA groups.

Scope was a Nightforce F1.... Shot good before it went on the 264 and shot good after it came off:) Ive had the absolute worst luck with 264s

Right now I have a $1000 rifle that won't shoot any better then 1.75 - 2.5 groups at 100yrds... Seems to shoot everything consistently around 2- 2.5 for 3 shots. My 45-70 guide gun with 2.5x fixed scope does better:(

I have tried RL22 and Retumbo. 140gr Accubonds, 140gr Amax, 130gr TTSX. Played with seating depth on all and different charge weights. Nothing seems to improve or degrade accuracy. Tonight I tried business cards under the barrel..didnt really change anything. Tried the limbsaver barrel deresonator seems to help some but again.... 2"groups.

Action screws are torqued to 50ft lbs. All base and scope rings are tight. I am open to any and all suggestions. Kinda hard to hit something at 500+ if your already shooting patterns at 100.

All I am looking for is less then 1" for 3 shots... I don't think its to much to ask for. My 280AI does <.5 with the TTSX so don't think its the idiot behind the trigger.

I'd troubleshoot the rifle before I did anything else:

Make sure the magazine box is not binding. Should be able to open the floor plate and wiggle the box up and down at both ends with just a little play. If it won't budge, then the action is getting slightly distorted by the mag box as you tighten the action screws.

Make sure the front action screw is not so long that it is pushing on the lower bolt lug.

If there are three action screws, make sure the center one is barely snug. Anything more will flex the action, causing potential accuracy problems.

Make sure your scope base screws are not so long that they are pressing on the barrel shank. This is a little harder to detect and has a BIG effect on accuracy.

Make sure your action screws are tight enough so there is no movement in the stock. About 65 inch pounds (NOT foot-pounds!) should do it.

Make sure there is enough clearance on your free float so that the stock is not flexing and tapping the barrel on firing.

If all of the above is good, have a good 'smith recrown it and do a good bedding job on it.

If it doesn't perk after the above with a little load development, re-barel it.

John

I worked up a load straight from nosler loading manual, using nosler 120 gr. bt, p/n 26120, 58 gr imr 4350. rem 91/2 primer. 3504 fps. at 200 yds, three rounds into the same hole.
winchester model 70, .264 win mag extreme weather ss, 1-9 twist, 26 in barrel.

Try lapula bullets my ruger stainless model 77 likes lapua 155 gr mega tips with 68 grs I have shot 1.5 inch groups at 300 yards with it .It does not shoot the Remington 140 gr corelocks worth a crap 2.5 inches at 100 yards .Nosler accubonds 140 grain work good too .I seat my bullets just before lands in rifling !

I worked up a load straight from nosler loading manual, using nosler 120 gr. bt, p/n 26120, 58 gr imr 4350. rem 91/2 primer. 3504 fps. at 200 yds, three rounds into the same hole.
winchester model 70, .264 win mag extreme weather ss, 1-9 twist, 26 in barrel.
Dang that seems fast !

That's **** near 350 fps fast. Raising BS flag on that. Id check what you loaded... smart money is, either you have about 5 grains more propellant in the case, our your chrony is busted.

I think you are on to something, i was expecting something around 3100 fps for that load, then i remembered the chrony was set to 9ft from barrel, my 22lr setup. I think a 264 win mag muzzle blast is creating a false reading. I will post follow up test results. thanks

using nosler 130 gr ab, with imr 4451 , 91/2 rem primer, only shoots 2 inch group at 200yds. chrony 3125fps. was hoping a better group, no sign of high pressure.

I just picked up a brand new one of these… I can't wait to get started loading for it. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. I will mainly use it out west for antelope and occasional KY Whitetail

Mine was very accurate but I just could not get the velocity until I tried imr7828 and 66.0gr . 130 accubond right at 3300 and the 140 accubond with 65.0 gr at 3200. Happy so far but gonna change out the 2x4 feeling stock.

Yes with no problem.The hornady 140sst shot great but my goal was 3200 with a 140 and I was getting around 3100 . Also the Berger 140 shot great but at 3050 not much better than a 270.
I tried Retumbo, r22, 25, mag pro, magnum , h4831 but 7828 worked the best for the Nosler AB's.

Lucio

I have a Rem. 700 with a Shilen 27 3/4" barrel 9 twist with Retumbo and 130 Accubond I get 3350 fps and sub MOA accuracy. Smokes deer. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.