Winchester chokes and black cloud

bushwackr

I picked up a 3" win sx shotgun. It only came with a full choke. Im not positive on this but I assume a person shouldn't use the full chokes with black cloud. I am going to shoot 3" bc bb, I already have a pile of it from last season.
My question is what choke is reccomended for this round. My local dealer has some of the signature inv plus chokes on hand. What would be a good one to start with, mod, imp cyl. I will be hunting honkers and snow/blues. Thanks everyone

I picked up a 3" win sx shotgun. It only came with a full choke. Im not positive on this but I assume a person shouldn't use the full chokes with black cloud. I am going to shoot 3" bc bb, I already have a pile of it from last season.
My question is what choke is reccomended for this round. My local dealer has some of the signature inv plus chokes on hand. What would be a good one to start with, mod, imp cyl. I will be hunting honkers and snow/blues. Thanks everyone

Briley makes a good waterfowl choke, but my favorite is a Pattern Master. It's a steel full choke, I have run everything from BBB to 7 through it with fantastic patterns. I've been around a lot of them, and most all were consistent and impressive.

Nothing like pillow casing birds, I hate cripples.

If you do get a quality aftermarket waterfowl choke, pick up some factory steel shells with some speed in about #3 shot sometime and try them. I doubt you will pay for BC again unless you are pass shooting at great distance. Hand loaded all my waterfowl shells for years and quit because I got very acceptable performance out of a good choke and kent fast steel and it was cheeper.

There's my .02 for what its worth.

I use trulock chokes with black cloud...I use maybe 1.5 to 2 cases of shells each year. For the extra $80 or so per case for Black Cloud I think it is well worth it. What used to be a cripple is now dead, or at least can't swim off.

We hunt flooded corn so early season and even late season in the thicker parts, if a bird can swim it can easily be lost, even with 1 or 2 dogs with us.

Had a friend convert after seeing my results for a season.

Whackr, I have a Patternmaster on my Benelli that is lights out. Patternmaster makes a choke specifically for Black Cloud and the Winchester SX. Check out their website. Good luck

DO NOT SHOOT A PATTERNMASTER WITH BLACK CLOUD!!

The PM chokes have wad strippers on the inside of the choke. This negates the effectiveness of the Federal Flight Control Wad in the Black Cloud shells.

I shoot 3" Black Cloud BB and 2 in a Win 101 and Browning BPS.

I would strongly recommend Carlson Stainless extended chokes $25-30 each.

I found that 2s are lights out through a Imp Mod and that BBs would great through a slight more open Light Mod.

Good luck!

I was not impressed with the Black Cloud shells at all....I completely switched to the Hevishot family of shells plus their choke tubes and have never looked back

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.