Winchester brass

Clem Bronkoski

I know there is better brass out there. Lapula and Star Line come to mind. But I see that Wal-Mart has a 60 rd box of Winchester 125 gr loads for the 6.5 CM. With the cost of brass I'm thinking that is a pretty good deal. Plus I get 60 rounds to do a barrel break in!
I've used Win brass before without any problems. I know I did get one batch a while back where the flash holes were a bit off center on a few. But it didn't seem to effect accuracy.

I don't think it's too bad, Clem. I've run it 6-7 cycles in my .25-06 with good results. I don't do anything special (anneal, turn necks, etc.) but for the money, it seems to hold up well. I get twice the life out of Nosler or Lapua brass in my 6.5s but then again, I'm paying for it aren't I?

People forget that Winchester /Olin,& Remington/Peters helped many generations of Hunters,Varmiters, Target , HighPower , and Junior shooters enjoy and grow into whatever sport they so choose to follow Or excell in. We as Americans Must Not forget Our American Companies that helped this Great Nation grow and Helped Keep Freedom Free World/Wide !!! . Yes I use W/WBrass & R/P brass & Federal /FC !!! .

All I can say is I have over 1000 pieces of Winchester brass in 300wsm, 338wm, 7mmstw, .308w and 300wm and have been 100% satisfied with my results using it. Granted I don't shoot to 1000 yards YET but have shot to 600 and been very satisfied with my results.
For the average shooter like me IMHO, it's still quite good brass. I will soon be pushing my limits to 700 then 800 yards and will see then if I need to upgrade to Norma brass.

But as I said I am an average shooter using 100% factory rifles that the scopes I own and use cost more than most of my rifles.

People forget that Winchester /Olin,& Remington/Peters helped many generations of Hunters,Varmiters, Target , HighPower , and Junior shooters enjoy and grow into whatever sport they so choose to follow Or excell in. We as Americans Must Not forget Our American Companies that helped this Great Nation grow and Helped Keep Freedom Free World/Wide !!! . Yes I use W/WBrass & R/P brass & Federal /FC !!! .

An average of 5 pieces per 50 that have serious enough defects to reject, is just not good enough. I had to pull aside a Cabela's sales person to visually show them 4-5 pieces in every bag, that had serious flaws, most being sharped piercings on one side. For their pistol brass, I took pix of several that had serious off center flash holes.

Believe me, as to supporting US manufacturing, if I had my way, there'd be no more Asian steel or other heavy equipment coming onto this country after having been shipped thousands of miles.

I
use a lot remington brass but is very difficult to find the rums 17rem and 17 fireball

I love Winchester brass. Best bang for the buck. They can be very consistent if you do all the case prep steps. Sure, there are always 4 or 5 cases in a bag that you'll cull because of defects or weight but that's the way it goes. If you do all the case prep steps and want to avoid doing it as much as possible, then Lapua is the only way to go. Plus, if you take care of your brass, it will last a very long time. I have .243 Winchester brass that I've been using for 10 years!

I bought WW brass years ago.... once. It was absolute crap! Out of 500 case there were less than 50 that had a case mouth runout of .0005 or less. Most were .0015 to .002 with @ 35 @ the .003. I tried Nosler a few years ago. I spot checked 15 out of every box of 50. NONE ran over .0005. I bought another 2700 for my AR-10 and 1700 for my 300 Win Mag. Yes... I checked 15 out of all these boxes of 50 too. Took me 2 weeks but it was the same story. ALL under .0005 runout. I'm a Nosler fan now.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.