Winchester brass

Clem, do you plan on brass prep? Are you looking for top of the line brass or just brass for plinking?

I had hornady bass with a few dents in it when I got it, never any defects the times I bough lapua. When I got Winchester brass I had to throw away about 10% without even being picky. The brass I keept is performing well, but I don't think this is acceptable.
I wanted to try the swift brass, but not been able to get any or talked to anyone who try it.
I would probably go for lapua if they made 300wm brass. Don't think they make any belted brass at all.

I reload for hunting and I do shoot targets out to 300 yards for fun. W-W, R-P, Hornady, Federal and Starline have served me well. As I stretched my yardage, I did notice that more "care" was needed for accuracy. I started seeing the difference in which case, loaded with equal powder, changed my POI. I now weigh, cham-debur, trim, flash hole and anneal every case and keep the same Batch of brass together for each rifle. If I could afford Lapua, I would shoot it... but for my MAX of 300 yards, the Ole Reliable's we grew up shooting work just fine. I know how particular the 1000 yard guys have to be, I have friends that shoot competitively, and the high dollar brass is well worth the cost, but for me, I'll stick with .35 cent brass...until I hit the Lotto !!

My 7mm Rem Mag only ever see's WW or FC brass and, if I do my part, shoots 1/2 MOA out to 725 yards. I do quite a bit of brass prep to make the brass as consistent as I possibly can. I get all this brass for free from buddies shooting the same cartridge so I'm not about to run out and buy premium when this brass gets the job done.

I've got several hundred of various chambering of win brass myself. Out of every bag I generally find maybe 2-3 that won't work for me , but with that being said out of a 50 pc bag it generally has 51-52 in it lol. The last two bags I've got both had 52 in them and only one bad one per bag . Good times have come my way

I used WW brass back when it was considered the best you could get. All my handgun brass is WW. WW brass used to be the thinnest brass thus more capacity and velocity potential. I weight sort my brass within lots. If you are loading and shooting thousands of rounds in competition then the premium brands may be better needing less prep but I enjoy the process along with the outcome. The journey is as enjoyable as the destination.

Well nothing like comparing a Ford to a Ferrari. Winchester brass is dirt cheap compared to any of the premium brass. I only wish I could afford to pay three to ten times as much for my brass.
For most of my early years and until I could not find any brass, I only shot what I had purchased loaded and then used that brass. I only purchased Nosler brass because I couldn't find any other brass to buy. My wife really let me know about the price of the Nosler brass. OUCH!
I haven't had the chance to shoot any thousand yard matches so I haven't had the need to have perfect everything. For the hunting I do, I am perfectly happy with the groups and performance of domestic brass. Even taking what you might consider bad brass out of the amount you purchased, it is still way less expensive than the premium brass. The best part is that I can actually afford to shoot when I use domestic brass. When you buy the premium brass you have to set it on the mantle and just look at it. Can't afford to shoot it.

I bought WW brass years ago.... once. It was absolute crap! Out of 500 case there were less than 50 that had a case mouth runout of .0005 or less. Most were .0015 to .002 with @ 35 @ the .003. I tried Nosler a few years ago. I spot checked 15 out of every box of 50. NONE ran over .0005. I bought another 2700 for my AR-10 and 1700 for my 300 Win Mag. Yes... I checked 15 out of all these boxes of 50 too. Took me 2 weeks but it was the same story. ALL under .0005 runout. I'm a Nosler fan now.
Do you really think .001 - .002 run out is that much? Seems that's going a bit too extreme.

An average of 5 pieces per 50 that have serious enough defects to reject, is just not good enough. I had to pull aside a Cabela's sales person to visually show them 4-5 pieces in every bag, that had serious flaws, most being sharped piercings on one side. For their pistol brass, I took pix of several that had serious off center flash holes.

I have used tons of win brass in the past with no problems considering the price. However, I too have some 22-250 brass ( from cabelas also) and I was shocked how bad it was . Out of 50 I had 8 with split necks , 12 where the neck was crunched down about .100 , and another 15 where the flash hole was blocked by the brass punched piece ( no problem, still usable) I'm sorry , 20/50 were not usable , where is the quality control department ? JUNK !!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.