270 Winchester

boattailed bandit

So as I have been reading through the forums, feverishly trying to get ideas and prices, I have noticed not many people shoot the 270 win. I know a select few might use the 270 WSM, but as for the straight 270 I haven't seen many. Is there a reason for this? I have used a 270 win on whitetails and coyotes for years and have never had one not drop dead in its tracks, however none have been over 300 yards. Is there something Im missing? I love the versatility of the round and I already do my own handloads for it. Im just curious.

There are plenty of us here that shoots the .270 Win/.270 AI and no there's nothing wrong with it esp, when you reload ...

finish-02-look-down.gif

Untitled_zps72b2ee0c.jpg

I have a Ruger Hawkeye in 270 that I have been working on for my first long range project. If I had lots of cash on hand I most likely would not have a Ruger, but a Savage or Remington. However I own a Ruger, so it is cost effective for me to learn to shoot long range with it. I have replaced the trigger with a Rifle Basix, and sent my Zeiss 3.5 x10x50 to the factory to have target turrets installed. My next few steps are to bed the action and float the barrel, then work up a load. I have been able to get a few shots in with factory ammo out to 600 on a silhouette style target with some success. I have found that there is more out there for 270 for long range shooting than it looks on the surface.

Nothing wrong w/ the 270win. I've got an old 721 in it and it's a great shooter. It's a hunting workhorse IMO. Very adaptable, fairly easy to shoot well, etc. The only downfall in my opinion is it doesn't have as much bullet selection as 7mm's, but I think it's got enough.

Nothing wrong w/ the 270win. I've got an old 721 in it and it's a great shooter. It's a hunting workhorse IMO. Very adaptable, fairly easy to shoot well, etc. The only downfall in my opinion is it doesn't have as much bullet selection as 7mm's, but I think it's got enough.

IMHO, there's more than enough bullet selection in .277, esp. to a reloader. Most load for 100-150grains, perhaps because the standard 1:10 twist had some challenges in stabilizing heavier bullets in the past. But with today's advancement in available barrels, faster twists, powder, etc ... .270 Win users and wildcatters are rejoicing.

I have a .270 AI (http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/my-budget-270-ai-97745/) with 30" Lilja barrel (3-groove 1:8 twist) that will primarily be shooting the 165 and 175 Matrix VLDs and when the 170 from Berger is available.

Long live Jack O'Connor!

thumbs-up-sign-thumb8413541_zps85645168.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.