Win Mod 70 scope elevation adjustment

TysonLeal

LRH brain trust, need some help. M70 -270. Leupold VX5 HD3-15x44, high rings and 20 MOA base.

The gun shoots great and scope track is perfect. But I only have 13 MOA of adjustment left in my elevation adjustment. I really don't need more than 13 MOA, but I don't like operating at the top end of adjustments. Any ideas or experiences to correct or adjust this situation?

LRH brain trust, need some help. M70 -270. Leupold VX5 HD3-15x44, high rings and 20 MOA base.

The gun shoots great and scope track is perfect. But I only have 13 MOA of adjustment left in my elevation adjustment. I really don't need more than 13 MOA, but I don't like operating at the top end of adjustments. Any ideas or experiences to correct or adjust this situation?

TysonLeal,

OOP'S, sorry... I misread your question, ****! see what happens when you get in a hurry :)

I understand the problem you need to center the reticle in the center of the scope (divided your total movement by two) and then be able to center the scope on the rifle so you have an equal amount of left and right windage in the scope. I've always used Leupold rings and mount (preferring the one piece over the two-piece mount) for years. You make the initial windage adjustment with the rear mount screws left and right, then just tighten it up, finishing your adjustments with your scope windage knob.
Leupold ring.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the scope rail mounting surface on a Win Model 70, but is it possible to install the 20 moa rail backwards?

You either have a base problem or a question problem. That scope has 75 MOA total elevation adjustment. Divide that in half for center 37.5 moa now add 20 moa for the base and you should have 57.5 up adjustment and 17.5 moa down adjustment. Or I don't understand the question.

Kinda looks like it. VX5HD has 75 MOA total in elevation so centered at 37.5 MOA less 1.5 for scope height minus 20 MOA leaves 16 MOA adjustment up? I run 20MOAs on my M70s but they're one piece Pic rails. I think there are 3 different mount patterns. SA, LA, and WSM. Maybe 2 piece 20 MOA in reverse? Gotta read the instructions!

Rhett

Thanks for the replies, sorry for the delay. It may be a question problem. The install is correct. The direct question is related to the mounting surface. I didn't know if there was challenge specific to rear being high on the M70 others had encountered?

Thanks for the replies, sorry for the delay. It may be a question problem. The install is correct. The direct question is related to the mounting surface. I didn't know if there was challenge specific to rear being high on the M70 others had encountered?
In my Opinion is a problem with the M70s. I have 2 that had the same issue and after spending a lot of hours and money trouble shooting I have come to this conclusion. I now use 20 moa rails and Burris Zee rings to get adequate adjustment. There are old write ups on here about all the steps I took to conclude this. I love the rifles but this is a pita. I hope this saves you some time. You could also use a 30 or 40 moa rail IF you can find one and standard rings. Check out the Zee rings as they are pretty sweet. Good luck!

Tyson are you saying that you there is only 13MOA of elevation in actual up direction on your scope. I ask as I had a similar problem with a Ruger#1 but what I meant was I could not get the scope down to zero. From what I have read here is that you are in the same situation. So my question to you is now that your scope is zeroed can you only raise the impact point 13 inches at 100yds. The other side being you can only lower impact 13 inches. My solution came with Burris rings as well but I had to put te 20 MOA insert on the front ring.

Rhett- rings(high) and rail (20moa) are nightforce. Traveling for work so don't have the gun/numbers in front of me.

105coues- I am now thinking that is the way to go and likely to make the change.

Wildbillg- in the current configuration, my rifle is zeroed at 200 yards. yes I can only raise the bullet impact 13" at 100 yards. The scope itself dials 75 MOA top to bottom. For some reason my current mounting even with 20MOA rail is far from center.

Now you've got me needing to look. I've got NF A196 Pic rail same as you but w/ Seekins low mounts(0.92) rings. M-70EW in LA too. None of this makes any sense at all. My other M-70 LA has a Warne 7676-20MOA. Will check both now-tonight anyway.

As stated previously, I have experienced this with m70 and leupold combo as well. Slipped a piece of brass shim stock under one end of the one piece mounting base. I have to draw a picture of the poa adjustment and poi each time to confirm magnitude and direction of shift. I seem to remember 7 mil shim under the rear of the base centered the scope elevation adjustment but check it your self . Cut brass shim with a tin snips to fit the entire underside of the contact area between the rear base and action, about one half inch square. Drill slightly oversized holes for mounting screws. Brass shim will form as base screws tighten. Hope that helps, good luck.

So I pulled my 264 M70 out this morning. It has the Warne 7676-20 base, Seekins 0.92 rings and C553 NF scope. I'm zeroed @ 200. I have 76 MOA of vertical up so basically 2 and a half turret revs. C553 has 120 total adjustment. I think there's something going on w/ your scope. Probably in the zero stop system somewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.