Win 70EW 264 & Barnes 127gr LRX

Hespco

Have been struggling to get decent hunting accuracy with my Win EW 264 mag ( 26" bbl ) & the Barnes 127 LRX bullet, BC 468. Slow powders like VV 24N41, Rel 33, US 869, & Retumbo have given excellent velocity & accuracy with C&C bullets , but not the LRX. Thinking how faster powders like IMR 4350 gave me excellent accuracy & velocity with my 6.5-06 & the 120gr TSX I figured I needed to try a faster burning powder. When I went to IMR 7828 it was like flipping a switch. Just like that a 1' group. Then as I upped the powder charge & started seating the bullet deeper groups shrank. At 62.5grs with the bullet seated to an OAL of 3.216 , groups under 1/2". Starting with two once fired Win brand cases which I fired six more times each. Never once FL sized, only neck sized thru the whole shoot. Primers pockets still tight. CCI mag primers. All loading was done with my decades old Pacific brand 264 dies screwed into my RCBS first year production RockChucker press. MV over my chrono , 3354 fps with small shot to shot deviation. Final shooting was at my 522 yd target. Sighted 1 1/4" high @ 100yd, drop at 522 yds was 24". Sea level drop tables indicated about 30" of drop. Elevation here on my place is 7630'. Elevation makes a serious difference at longer ranges. I am totally pleased with this load . With the 100% success of the Barnes bullets on elk over the years I wanted to stick with them for this rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.