Wilson trimmer ???

ramp

Thought you folk's with more experience migt have some answer's.
Why do you need one case holder for new or F.L. sized cases and one for fired cases.
I have both for the RUM'S and I cant tell any differance except one is longer than the other.
I put a case in both and both seem to fit good.
Seem's like wasted $$$ to me.

Thank's
Ramp

New cases are min SAMMI spec. So is that case holder, then when you want to trim your fired cases after 2-4firings, it usualy doesn't fit in the new case one anymore due to you chamber being over min SAMMI spec. I accidently put a 308 LC case (3x fired) into the new case holder. Trimmed it and it ended up being flush with the case holder... Pretty tough to tap out (if you have the Wilson trimmer you know what I mean). They cost like $8 a piece an make life a whole lot easier.

Last edited:
Thanks Oliveralan

So I guess the fired case holder is max sammi spec.
How do they know how much the case exspand in each rifle, some would be differant.
Did you destroy your case gitting it out.
That could explain why the fired case holder is shorter.

Thanks
Ramp

Separate fired and resized case holders are only needed for those rifle cartridges that don't have much body taper. With less taper, the difference between fired and resized diameter means a bigger difference in how far the case slides into the tapered holder. So cartridges like 30-06 and 8x57 work with only one holder. If your rifle has a chamber on the smaller side, you'll probably only need the resized holder anyway.

Andy

I'm
not sure if it is max or not.. It is slightly bigger. For my 300 win mag and 308 they are the same lengths (each pair) bur internal dimensions are slightly different, haven't measured. My 308 is a custom so not a sloppy chamber but I still use the fired case holder for fired cases.

I didn't only destory that case, but scratched up the case holder pretty good too. Ended up using a tap and rubber mallet while putting the thing in a vise to get it out..IMO get the two for your caliber.

Hmmm, never tho't of this.

I have only one case holder for each cartridge. 17 Rem/222 Rem/270 Win.

So I may need to for the 270 Allen Mag??

I would like to have one to use for inside neck reaming.

Have you ever had a blond moment?
The fired holder is actually for a RSAUM.
Of course it's going to be shorter. Duh!!!!!!

Thanks for the reply's.

Ramp

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.