wilson trimmer case holders

Daveinjax

I just ordered a wilson ss micrometer caze trimmer with the ptg stand. I also ordered the fired case holders for the cases I shoot. I didn't get the holders for new cases as I read somewhere you can use the fired case holders for new brass. Is this true or do I need to call back and add the new case holders as I am going to start loading for a new rifle and almost all my other rifles brass is going to have to be tossed soon . Most are on their 7th loading.

When I first started out, I got both the fired and new brass case holders for .308 Winchester. Never used the 'new' case holder, only the 'fired', so when purchasing case holders for other calibers, I never bothered with the 'new' holders. There isn't exactly a high demand for them so I was pretty much stuck with it acting as a paperweight, etc.

Last year, I finally found a (real) use for that 'new brass' .308 Win case holder: virgin Winchester .308 brass. That stuff is so grossly undersized in about every dimension right out of the bag that its just ridiculous... and it slides too far into a 'fired' case holder. But it fits in the 'new' holder like it was made for it... :rolleyes:

Generally speaking, I'd say you're just about as well off to take the virgin brass, expand/round out the necks, chamfer the inside, then fire them for load work-up, practice, whatever. *Then* worry about trimming. I don't think I've ever had virgin brass, of any make/caliber, that was too long. Yeah, there may be some slight variation in OAL... but until that shoulder gets blown out to fit the chamber, there isn't a lot of point (in my mind) in worrying about a precise trim length.

YMMV,

Monte

I buy only the fired case holders for my trimmer. Fired brass is almost always slightly larger than virgin brass. Virgin brass will easily fit a fired case holder, but often the rim goes in so far that the threaded adjustment head will not reach it. I solved this problem by gluing a few small brass washers to the adjustment head so that it will reach the rear of the case.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.