wilson 1911

bubba41

hi guys long time ! I'm goimg to change it up a little . does anyone own a wilson combat 1911 ? and if so how does it compare to a colt gold cup trophy is it really worth 2 k more

hi guys long time ! I'm goimg to change it up a little . does anyone own a wilson combat 1911 ? and if so how does it compare to a colt gold cup trophy is it really worth 2 k more

Its a lot better...but not 2K worth. A hand fitted ; assembled "weapon" is always "better" than an assembly line one

I took the grips off of my Gold Cup and put them on my AMT hardballer and sold the gold cup with Pacmyer Grips. Worst gun i ever owned. AMT Hardballer is MUCH better. Maybe i got a bad one but was NOT impressed. Only issue with AMT is the Millett Dual Crimp Front Sight (They fall off).

If you want a good accurate .45 with adj. sights look at Springfield Armory's
Trophy Match. And with the money saved you can pick up mags,pouches.
a holster and a few cases of good ammo. But I must say Wilson's Mags
are world class, when I carry a .45 for defence, all my other mags go back
into my shooting bag and Wilson 8 rounders go in the gun and on my hip.

All this is just my opinion, yours may be differant its just my .02

Wilson pistols are hand fitted and assembled. They are worth the money and it can be compared to a colt. If you factor in the time and cost associated with having your 800$ colt upgraded to get what wilson offers from its factory your going to come in way over budget.

I have a Wilson and it is a fine piece. Their customer service is top notch. Great shooter and smooth as silk. I have a Kimber that is close. 2 grand is a lot of cash. I'm sure it will be your favorite if you do purchase one.

Just IMO.....

I own all 3 Wilsoin Combat, Colt Officer and Kimber Crimson Carry Ultra and far as I'm concerned, the Wilson is overpriced. I'd sell it but I like to collect, besides you can never have enough......:D

I'll take the Kimber full size over both the Colt and the Wilson and the Meprolite sights are great as well as the lasergrips.

The Colt is on par with the Kimber in feel and accuracy.

If I was to choose just one, it would be the Kimber for handling, accuracy, weight and value.

I have no problem drilling the bull at 50 feet with any of the 3, it's just the Kimber 'feels' better to me.

Additionally, the Kimber Tac-Mags (which fit all full size 1911's) are better, again IMO than the Wilson mag, cheaper and they give you 3 different base options with each mag and the feed lips are teflon coated. Kimber also has a slick, 30 second install, .22LR conversion for plinking on a budget. I use it all the time. Takes 30 seconds to change out and outwardly, it looks identical to the 45 slide, except the hole in the end is smaller.....:D

The cheaper 1911 clones like the new Ruger and Para-ordinance, have a steel upper and lower so they are heavy. I prefer the alloy (hard coat rail) lowers. I don't like carrying a tank around.....

Contact Ed Vandenberg in Houston. He is a member of the american Pistol Smiths Guild (as is Bill Wilson) and he will come in much lower with a gun that is as good or better. When I asked him about wilsons guns, he said "Theres a lot of blue sky in those guns." If you need something that says wilson, its great. Personally, a Springfield TRP does the same job just as well and much cheaper.

I own a Wilson's KZ 45 which were discontinued. I absolutely love it. From the trigger to the sights to the feel! It's also a Tac driver! It'll outshoot all my other pistols even the smaller calibers with less recoil. I had a Colt Sistema 1911 and a para ordinance 1911 and in my opinion it was far better even in quality. If I had the cash I'd get me another 1911 by Wilson's. KZ was there lower end model.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.