Wilod Rangefinder Calibration????

41mag

WEll I have done the best I could with the sudo smeared instructions I got with my Wild. Initially I calibrated it to 400 meters as that is about all I had room to do. This worked out pretty well but there was some error on the longer ranges.

This past weekend we had a laser surveying system out checking and verifying our target distances as well as plotting some future hunting positions. This thing gets it down to the .01 of an inch or closer depending on where you want the decimal point.

WEll while we had it out I decided to check out the Wild against this thing. WEll I can say that for some old milsurp tired iron, it did pretty good. The first check we did was at a mile. It came in about 200 yds short of what it should have read. So we calibrated it to a 1600 meter distance, and rechecked it again. This time it was only 23' short of what it should have been. This could be either of us not seeing things the same or reading the dial correctly as it fell between two different lines. Upon checking the 500 yd flange we hung out we found it to be only a few feet off. Either way, it should be good to go from now on out.

Now the question, was it better to have calibrated this thing at the furtherest distance we could have for the best accuracy, or should we have dialed it in on something closer?

WE might go back with the laser system again later on, but the limiting factor with the Wild was being able to see the pole we were using to calibrate it. Next time though we can use a larger diameter pipe than the one we had.

Mike,
I have been trying to find the printed directions for my WILD rangefinder but cant find them right offhand, but after calibrating it many times you can either use the lathe board that comes with it at 100meters or use the moon or Sun for infinity calibration, or use a combination of all 3 and it is dead on. awesome instrument but heavy.
UB

Re: Wild Rangefinder Calibration????

Hey Bill,

Nothing from your end yet. LOL No biggie though I think we got her figured out. Just took some field time and a little screwing around of the loose nuts behind the eyepiece. LOL

uncleB -
I am sure that the more we mess with it the better it wil get. Especially since we have a much better handle on it now. This past weekend was really the first time we had a chance to play with it. WE have really been working on other things getting ready for our version of winter. LOL It was 80 two days ago and in the 30's now, and supposed to be back up sometime just around the weekend. LOL

WE have had a ball with it so far, but it was nothing compared to the one we had out this past weekend. Now if we could just afford the 16K price tag for one of those units and figure out how to inbreed those little reflector units on the deer and hogs around here things would be peachy. LOL The unit we had out this weekend would do everything but wipe your backside I believe. We definately have the lowdown on the places we want to set up. Now all we got to do is get the loads in a little tighter on my buds 300 and those 210gr Bergers will be putting the bigtime smackdown on those Piney Woods Rooters. Hopefully sometime around the end of the year or shortly after I will be sending some 169's downrange as well.

Wanyne thanks for the link. That helps out a ton. According to the error chart we are pretty darn close to being set up for it and the basic errors will just be us. Course that is generally the case anyway. LOL Again thans for the link It will be printed and put to good use.

Mike,

I wait till there is a clear night and a half moon and use the moon as the calibration point with the range set on infinity. I use a half moon as it is much easier to align accurately then a full or 3/4 moon.

I then check at 1000, 1500 and 2000 meters against my Swarovski RF. When using the moon, it is generally very close at these shorter ranges.

I have found that one really needs to pay attention to detail when ranging with the Wild. Really making sure those two images align perfectly is critcal. Learning to be precise is the best way to get accurate readings.

They are very impressive instruments!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks Kirby, I will definatley give that a try. I guess that a couple hundered thousand miles would get it closer than a few hundered meters. LOL

We will need it to be tight pretty soon as Tim's 300 is getting close to dialing out to 1k and beyond. Hopefully I won't be too much behind him when I get my AM up and running. At least I will have a much better handle on the wind doping. I have always been pretty decent at it with most shots out to 400 or so using standard loads. However after putting the gong up at 500 and having the higher cross winds it really makes one use the surroundings to make a good hit. Lots of fun. I know that with one of your rigs I won't have to hold off nearly as much as with what we're using now. That 300 and my 7mm are good, but not even in the sme league as your rigs.

Mike, I use the lathe board,sun,and moon. Have had mine four five years and after the original calibration it still is right on with the laser. Fantastic optics. At a 1000 meters I can match up pine needles. That is the ones left standing after Rita.

Well, it took forever to find this link to Duetscheoptiks. If you don't use just the right words you don't find what you want. I bet I searched Duetscheoptiks four or five times and couldn't find it. Kind of like losing your glasses. They are always right where you left them.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.