how do you calibrate Wild optical rangefinder?

jonado

I just picked up a Swiss Wild optical rangefinder. needs to be calibrated. I have found the adjustment screw on the left side of the rangefinder. when I adjust it, the image adjusts vertically. however, I can't seem to get the two images to be horizontally mirror images (calibrating on the moon). the only way I can get two images perfect is to adjust the right rangefinding knob. then it says about 3500 meters. if put at infinity the images are off a little bit horizontally. is there another adjustment point?

On mine, there are two adj on the right side. You kinda have to rotate a little protective sleeve around to expose the other one.

First, get the mirror images in proportion to each other by using on of the knobs on the left. Once you get them to where you see the same amount in the rectangle as you do above it, find an object @ a known distance, set the readout to that distance and adjust the other knob on the right until the images line up (one is on top of tube and other is on bottom, can't remember which is which).

I've always done mine on telephone poles or fence posts. Something that is easy to line up.

thanks for the help...there were no instructions with this unit. didn't realize there were 2 adjustment screws on the left. found the second and images of the moon are now aligned. I am a happy guy. looking forward to using it. thanks again for the quick response.

Buffalobob,

I had the instructions for the Wild but lost the unit in a fire and the instructions. Would it be possible for you to scan yours and send them to me. Thanks. Tom in Harris, MO. [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.