Wildcat 200 ULD RBBTs w/Sauter Jackets-Bump the Chargemaster up

ss7mm

I got through hunting season this winter with the Wildcat 200s with the J-4 jackets and they worked fine on a deer and an elk at fireform velocity levels in my 7mm AM. After fire forming some, I tried loading them hotter but stopped the testing because they came apart at 7mm AM full load velocity levels. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Today I received an early Christmas present in the form of a "bucket" of the new Wildcat 200 grain ULD RBBTs with the Sauter heavier, tapered jackets. These babies look great. The mailman sure complains when he has to pack the heavy boxes from Canada up to the door. I think the little blue box I gave him full of Crown Royal calmed him down though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DSC01957Small.jpg

DSC01948withtextandcroppedSmall.jpg
DSC01947withtextandcroppedSmall.jpg

Now I can crank the Chargemaster up a notch or two and start in next week on testing at the velocities the big 7 is capable of, if the weather co-operates. This freezing rain we're getting tends to keep you inside. After the obligatory ladder tests and accuracy tests it'll then be on to the good stuff. We'll see what she'll do at extended ranges now that I'll be able to really stretch 'er out and let 'er run. I put quite a few rounds through it this past weekend out to 1250 yards, and I've shot it out to 1440 yards so the comparisons will be interesting. Gonna have to find some furry critter this spring to try them out on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well,

I will admit that I am a bit jellous my friend. I am supposed to have 600 of those things headed my way soon. Hope they get here. I was up with Richard when he tried those jackets the first time. He was very happy with the results and from the looks of things they are working great in the big 200 gr ULD RBBT.

Please keep in mind that the heavy jacket will increase pressure to some degree. Drop that load down to start until you find the personallity if that new bullet jacket. The 7mm AM is a sweet old gal when you take her slow, as you well know, when you jump right into things, she can be a bit ****y!!!

Let us know how they perform. Will have to call my Canadian friend and find out when mine will be here!!! Just kidding, they will get here when they get here!!

Better not raise to much hell, he will do the same about when his rifle will show up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Keep us posted!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby:

Just tell me how many you want and I'll ship them over to you. You can replace them when you get some.

At least this way you will have some and won't have to work 24/7 on the new gun just to get some bullets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Right on about the heavier jacket and we both know that my lot of powder is faster than yours so I'll start down plenty and treat her gentle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

****, those are beautiful! If the 30 Cals look anything like that I'm going to order a "bucket" too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I am curious. How do you cut the bullets so nicely on the long axis that way? Mostly, how do you hold them?

Let me guess.

He made a little nest in some wood perhaps then clear glued (epoxy) them in place, apply belt sander to the entire mess and eventually have 1/2 bullet, 1/2 nest and marks along the long axis.

[ QUOTE ]
Let me guess.

He made a little nest in some wood perhaps then clear glued (epoxy) them in place, apply belt sander to the entire mess and eventually have 1/2 bullet, 1/2 nest and marks along the long axis.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's perzakly what I've had planned with some 338 252 WCs. Sure is a bunch of work for a little peak. But, hey, its fun. May 'invent' something along the way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Len:

Dave got it right on the nose, after looking closely at the pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just a scrap of hardwood with a cleat at the end, lay a strip of epoxy down, set bullet in epoxy up against cleat and let it dry. The I use one of my stationary belt sanders and take it down to the half way point, sanding towards the cleat. Sometimes I will remove the sanding marks, but usually I just leave them like in the pics.

You can remove them from the cleat and epoxy but I usually leave them glued down. Then I can make notes on the wood and store them in nice neat little rows and piles.

Doesn't cost anything and gives you a detailed view of the guts of the subject bullet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SS7mm,

Thats alright, I have plenty coming soon I hear. To be honest, I have so many projects rolling right now it will probably be spring before I worry to much about the 7mm AM. She shoots pretty well with the load she is eating now so I will use it(3200 fps) for now and then this spring will try to bump things up a bit.

Got to get that **** little 224 AM up and running full tilt to hopefully vent some yotes yet this winter!!

Let us know how they shoot for you!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Glad to hear that the heavy jackets are here.

I am very interested in what kind of final velocities you can achieve with a good load and a hot load in the 7AM.

As a note

I hope everyone understands how damaging lead dust is to the central nervous system and is taking precautions for themselves and especially for any young children and/or prospective mothers.

Look forward to more reports

don't know how these jackets compare to the sierra's but for anything other than elk i'm bettin the j-4's will work better.didn't get to shoot anything at long range,except some stumps and rocks, but i did shoot through 2 does that were about 5 feet apart with the sierra jackets.this would be 2 does, dressing between 85-90 lbs, with one shot.exit hole on the second doe was about an inch in dia.they were about 150 yds, muzzle vel around 2900.

buffalobob:

Your note on safety is well taken. I have a big, filtered dust collection system in my shop hooked to every piece of equipment and also have a full room air filter in operation at all times. I also wear a dust mask when doing any sanding of any kind. I don't like breathing anything but nice clean air.

The highest velocity with a safe load will be the goal but accuracy comes first and the load I'll accept will be the most accurate at the highest velocity. It doesn't matter how fast that pill is going if you can't hit anything with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts