Wild cat forming

Hello Alan,

Looks great. What is OAL of finished case? What is H2O capacity on finished case?

Thanks,
THEIS

Hello,

Hmm, I wonder how much case length could be regained if extra long straight walled bmg brass was used. Like starting with 150mm length brass....
Time for BMG XL.....not only to offer 50cal projectiles more case but more importantly to offer the 375cal projectiles more case. gun)

Thanks,
THEIS

Hello,

Alan, I spoke with Jon yesterday and he mentioned a new propellant was being done up for this, in which he is thinking MV will be increased closer to 4k fps with your flatline projectile.

Looking forward to discussing this with Dan.

Thanks,
THEIS

4K might be a bit optimistic, but one never knows till it's run thru the trials.

I think 3700 maybe plus a bit is more in line. At least what I hope for.
We'll see.
I should start a crowd funding barrel pool. Maybe a city ordinance??
Alan

Well done video Alan.

Yes. That is the process I use. I can see the annealing but you didn't mention it. Is RWS brass that nice to work with?

At the moment I am working with an RCBS Ammomaster 50BMG press and just getting setup with a hydraulic press to do as THEIS suggests. Re-draw the brass a bit

What is that press you are using?

Alan, how often did you annesl while forming that brass down, was it every step or every other step? How big were your steps to sizing down the brass .020" or more?

I'm not about to comment on any of my design or process steps. I've done deep draw tooling for a lot of years before ever playing around with wild cats. Dig into it yourself and learn as you go.

Alan

Jeff:
The press is of my own making. I did not like any of the commercially available ones I looked at. It's also big enough to handle 20 Vulcan or 25 Barrett. The RWS is by far the best I've found. I resize on an A4 RCBS. fit out to handle 1.5-12....
Alan

I'm not about to comment on any of my design or process steps. I've done deep draw tooling for a lot of years before ever playing around with wild cats. Dig into it yourself and learn as you go.

Alan

That's cool. Just curious on the annealing steps. I got the starts of it.

Deep drawing/redrawing is up next.

Jeff:
The press is of my own making. I did not like any of the commercially available ones I looked at. It's also big enough to handle 20 Vulcan or 25 Barrett. The RWS is by far the best I've found. I resize on an A4 RCBS. fit out to handle 1.5-12....
Alan

Nice work. That's quite a press. Always the problem of make or buy.

A bit of data:
361g Flat Line 960 and 480 G1 & G7 Doppler
3550 MV. 9560 Ft Lbs.
1000 yd. MV. 2670, 5450 Ft Lbs.
Flight time= .985 sec
Muzzle to 1000 yd. = 3.85 mil
9 shot group-- 4.35" bipod and a bag
( I'm engineering a new bipod now for more freedom of movement)
Come out and play! Let's have some fun.

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.