URSA NorCal & SoCal Recaps form 5/22/2016

ELR Researcher

22 May 2016 - Recap of NorCal May '16 Shoots (by SW RD, Lynn Dragoman, minor edits by Facilitator)

We had a smaller than normal turnout as rain was threatening to cancel our match. As it turns out the weather was actually quite nice.

In our first match Calguns poster WhiteMamba got a hit on his first shot of a sudden death shoot-off to beat two other shooters he was tied with.

In our second match, Mitch hit 5 out of 10 shots to easily best the field and take home his fourth win out of our last five matches, plus earn an achievement point.

We were plagued with lighting (IRIS) issues as we didn't receive our upgraded modules in time. I am hopeful we will have them in time for our next match.

At this match we placed the gong on the other side of the road and the new range distance was measured at 2057 yards.

Congratulations to WhiteMamba and Mitch on their wins!!!

22 May 2016 - Recap of SoCal 5_16 (by Facilitator)

And the winner was...wind and sand.

Three shooters dropped out just before the shoot, we had 10-12 mph winds (gusting to 20+) from the very first shot, and had an endless supply of sand and grit trying to muck up the rifles and optics. The result was that only one shooter qualified (TJ), so no match. Had we not mitigated the situation (everyone else moving off the ground to shoot from my shooting bench), we would not have gotten that far along. [My scope failed me – never took a shot.]

Weather, with chill factor, was cold and it turned out that the sun was directly in the shooter's eyes for the first 30-40 minutes of the shoot – we delayed until the target (at 2080 yards) was again visible. Bottom line – worst conditions to date. BTW, this was the first anniversary of URSA shoots in SoCal, our 9th shoot at this venue.

We had one new shooter out to test his shooting skills (Sasha). With a box-stock Savage (model 110 in 338 LM), Bushnell Tactical Elite XRS 4.5-30x50 scope on 50 MOA rail, and factory (Hornady 285 gr ELD) ammo, he was quite consistently right at the edge of the target but failed to connect. Looking forward to having him out in the future, hopefully with the better consistency of handloads.

I did post one pic in the Gallery. The three hits were done by the same shooter (Tu) and the same, unique-for-our-group projectiles (Lehigh 330 gr solids – in Tu's Desert Tech HTI 375 CT), they were NOT done either in a row or even during one practice or qualification round. I'm just calling that pic "interesting happenstance".

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.