Why use a carbon wrapped barel?

Do I have any obligation? You're asking someone to invest countless hours to generate an incredibly complex algorithum (mathematical model) to satisfy your personal curiousity.

Research the Thermal Conductivity Coefficient for the carbon fiber wrap media the barrel manufacturer is using, and compare it to the Thermal Conductivity Coefficient for steel barrels. The generic, one-size-fits-all answer to your curiousity is, "The barrel material with the higher Thermal Conductivity Coefficient will transfer heat at the higher rate. Which is the same as saying, it will cool down (shed heat) at a faster rate.

Your problem will be, no carbon barrel manufacturer employee will provide the value for their CFW, unless that employee wants fired. Because that value will burst the perpetual propaganda bubble.

If you wanna spend your time and money satisfying a curiousity, I'd suggest purchasing equipment that will reliably measure the temperature of the bore in your CFW and a 100% steel barrel of identical size. Shoot the exact same cartridge and ammunition in each of the two identically shaped barrels, at the same rate of fire, under the same outdoor temperatures, at the same location and time, with no wind, and both barrels either in broad sunlight, or under shade. Place the temperature sensor in the bore immediately after firing a string of rounds down both barrels. The temperature sensor will need to be placed identically in both bores, and never be moved as the temperatures are being collected. It would be ideal if the temperature sensor wasn't in direct contact with the steel bore, but was held centered in the bore with an air gap circumferally surrounding the sensor. Monitor and record the bore temperatures versus time. Keep everything as apples to apples as possible, meaning control all temperature affecting influences. Measure and compare bore temperatures over time and voila, you will have demonstrated with empirical temperature data collected over time, which barrel cooled down quicker (transfered heat out from the bore at the faster rate).

It would be ideal to have two temperature sensors recording the rate of bore cool down in both barrels at the same time. And then perform a second test swapping the temperature sensing equipment between barrels and documenting the same result. In other words, strive for a well controlled test, in the effort to yield the most equally comparable and defendable temperature data.
Thermal couple, DVM, and a stop watch. Center the TC with bakelite or other non conductive material bushings or epoxy it into an empty cartridge case. The most difficult part will be getting both barrels (rifles) to the range at the same time.

You can do two tests:
1. Which barrel gets hotter after X # of shots.

2 From a given temp of X how long to cool down to temp y.

I am not asking for anything except numbers to back why you think CF barrels do not cool as fast. What numbers are you using for Therm Cond? They are all over the place depending on what epoxy is used. You want me to explain why I think they would cool faster, when I have very little experience with regard to thermal formulas, but won't do it yourself when you act as though you have a handle on this. Not sure why some have turned this into an argument rather than just showing in a basic form, why CF does or does not cool faster. You are writing a lot, but basic numbers would be helpful.
Example: there was a study done by the U of Nebraska. They listed thermal conductivity of CF with specific resins around 5-7. When comparing to Stainless steel(13), and taking into account half the volume of steel between the two barrel types, that puts them close.
Okay entertaining but not educational forum MARKETING IS THE CULPRIT
cooling capabilities in the table https://www.christinedemerchant.com/carbon_characteristics_heat_conductivity.html

carbon fibre can be amazing at transferring/dissipating heat but in epoxy it is dismal
also the good ones are REALLY EXPENSIVE

obviously they look good & are lighter and some people believe marketing

Ask Benchmark
I will say their fluting is deep and wide
How can you get a fluted #5 lighter than this? :)
barrels-before-after.jpg

Okay entertaining but not educational forum MARKETING IS THE CULPRIT
cooling capabilities in the table https://www.christinedemerchant.com/carbon_characteristics_heat_conductivity.html

carbon fibre can be amazing at transferring/dissipating heat but in epoxy it is dismal
also the good ones are REALLY EXPENSIVE

obviously they look good & are lighter and some people believe marketing
I've read that site and also skimmed the accompanying 160+ page study. Additives to epoxy are not that expensive. Good amounts of graphite to mix with epoxy helps and that is about $50.

How can you get a fluted #5 lighter than this? :)
View attachment 239364
Comparing apples and oranges is how it happens. To be fair, the closest matched contour Benchmark makes to a Proof Sendero is the "Benchmark Straight Contour" M24 or Heavy Palma. Proof Barrels are straight profile Sendero style barrels. A Proof 284 Sendero profile at 28" weighs 3lbs, 7oz and the Benchmark M24-10 weighs 6lbs and the MTU-11, 27" weighs 7lbs which is closest to the Sendero Proof profile and a inch shorter. Comparing a sporter contour barrel to a Straight contoured barrel is not a accurate comparison based on the barrel profile. Nothing wrong with it but not apples to apples. I prefer steel but they're just heavier in the same profile. I have 3 CF rigs all for hunting. Anyways....

Comparing apples and oranges is how it happens. To be fair, the closest matched contour Benchmark makes to a Proof Sendero is the "Benchmark Straight Contour" M24 or Heavy Palma. Proof Barrels are straight profile Sendero style barrels. A Proof 284 Sendero profile at 28" weighs 3lbs, 7oz and the Benchmark M24-10 weighs 6lbs and the MTU-11, 27" weighs 7lbs which is closest to the Sendero Proof profile and a inch shorter. Comparing a sporter contour barrel to a Straight contoured barrel is not a accurate comparison based on the barrel profile. Nothing wrong with it but not apples to apples. I prefer steel but they're just heavier in the same profile. I have 3 CF rigs all for hunting. Anyways....
You're missing the point
A #5 contour is stiffer than CF and can weigh less when fluted, we're not talking about a little pencil barrel here mines 22" and .720 at the muzzle with 5/8 threads, and my heavy suppressor is well supported..
There is zero benefit of carbon fiber in this application in terms of weight, stiffness, cooling, or accuracy.
I never claimed an equal contour steel barrel will weigh less than CF that's completely obvious.
Its all preference in the end, and pretty much a matter of cosmetics for those who prefer a fat looking cf barrel

You're missing the point
A #5 contour is stiffer than CF and can weigh less when fluted, we're not talking about a little pencil barrel here mines 22" and .720 at the muzzle with 5/8 threads, and my heavy suppressor is well supported..
There is zero benefit of carbon fiber in this application in terms of weight, stiffness, cooling, or accuracy.
I never claimed an equal contour steel barrel will weigh less than CF that's completely obvious.
Its all preference in the end, and pretty much a matter of cosmetics for those who prefer a fat looking cf barrel
I completely understand your point. Mram10us asked "how is yours lighter?" Your 22" barrel is lighter and stiffer and supports your suppressor because it's a different profile. I get it. You specifically asked "what's all the rage"? The rage is weight reduction in longer heavier profile hunting barrels. That's all I'm saying. I'm not arguing with you or your post. This has to be one of the most argumentative and defensive threads I've read.

You're missing the point
The weight is definitely in favor of the cf. Example: I turned down a fluted #5 brux contour 26" for my 28 nosler and wrapped in CF. It weighed 79.9oz before. It ended up 69.8oz with a straight taper from 1.220 to .875" muzzle. 10 oz in savings. Haven't shot yet to see how it turned out though.

A 2.5 lb cf WRAPPED barrel will never be stiffer than a 2.5lb steel barrel...

But

A 3.5 LB CF WRAPPED BARREL CAN BE AS STIFF AS A 3LB STEEL BARREL AND PROVIDE THE HARMONICS OF A 5LB STEEL BARREL!!!

THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE

I REGULARLY SEE SUB HALF MOA CF WRAPPED BARREL GUNS SHOOTING 2 or 3 MORE 1/2MOA GROUPS AN HOUR AT A 1000 YARDS THAN ALL STEEL RIFLES WEIGHING 3 -5 POUNDS MORE... ALSO RIFLES WITH CF WRAPPED BARRELS RETAIN SUB MOA EFFECT AT 1000 YARDS APPROCIMATELY 500-1000 MORE ROUNDS....

THE PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING IN THIS SMALL GROUP OF HIGH VOLUME SHOOTERS.....

SOME OF THE CF BARRELS ARE MAINTAINING SUB 3/4 MOA AFTER BEING SET BACK 6-7 TIMES....

THE REAL PROBLEM IS AND ALEAYS WILL BE CHAMBER THROAT WEAR AND HARDER MORE HEAT RESISTANT STEELS IN CONJUNCTION WITH GAIN TWIST TECHNOLOGY SEEMS TO BE THE ANSWER....

I SEE THE FUTURE AS 3/4" DIAMETER SHANKS 5" LONG WITH 22" OF 3R OR 5R CF WRAPPED AND 2"OR 3" OF 1" DIAMETER STEEL AT THE END AND A GAIN TWIST OF 1-8" FOR L9NG 230-245 GRAIN 30CAL OR 195 GRAIN 7MM...

BUT I AM A DREAMER AND GAIN TWIST IS NOT PERFECTED YET...

BTW THE FUTURE WILL ALSO SEE BIPODS WITHIN 3" OF THE MUZZLE!!!

IT WORKS!!!
Putting a bipod forward is old news and LOGICAL not futuristic. It is like having a long barrel and long sighting radius with Iron sights.
Didn't someone get the chat for using all capitals?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.