Why so many shots?

hawk4974

Have you guys seen this video? The obvious answer is wrong shot placement. The third shot hit the mark, I'm curious as to where he hit the first two times!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-dd8afE-wE"]Wasatch Elk Hunt 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

It would be interesting to know shot placement, bullet and rifle. And do the autopsy/butchering.

Otherwise, its just a guess.

I can't believe it got up. It was hit on the first shot, the way the back went up. The second shot surprised that shock didn't make it fall. High by the spine. Must have been lower than I thought. I would really like to know more.

Just goes to show you how tough a big bull can be. Shoot till their head is on the ground is how I roll. But I hunt with a 338...

Would like to know what he is shooting???

They definitely have a strong will to live. The caliber and bullet choice would be nice to know. I personally would have put another one in him, if for no other reason the humane factor, even though he wasn't going far.

That has nothing to do with how tough a bull is but has everything to do with **** poor shot placement!!

First shot way back, maybe a little liver with the humping up and rocking back, second shot top of shoulder way to high to do anything more than stun the spin and make you think your a rock star, third shot was pitiful but at least he saw where it hit an corrected an finally put bullet #4 in the boiler.

I put 3 200gr Accubonds through a bull's lungs at about 700 yards. He didn't even react until the third one, which was also the only one to hit bone. He just shook his shoulders and walked off up the mountain behind a deadfall where I couldn't shoot him again. It was still about 5 minutes before we heard him fall and roll. I've heard of people chasing bulls which ended up being hit well long distances because they didn't keep shooting.

Don't know the range in this video, the bullet, or the cartridge. But I would not have waited so long to put the third one in him. Shoot until they are down for good. Hunts are expensive and hard, cartridges are cheap and reloading easy.

I agree. Put them in the boiler and do so until he is down. We can all learn from this video, either confirming what we already do or giving us good reason to adopt new MOA. I too would love to know what cart. & bullet he was using. Great bull!

I think these guys leave themselves open for criticism by posting this particular hunt online, but that's what they did, so here we go.

My guess is the first shot was in the gut. Really hard to tell, but the way it hunched up it looked like the back end moved more than the front end. 2nd shot I'm surprised the bullet did not crush the spinal column, although it appears to be high. so I'm guessing over the organs but under the spine. 3rd shot obvious miss. 4th shot although it got the vitals (my guess is bottom section of lungs), I think the bullet placement is too low and too far back given that the bull is lower in elevation and slightly quartering towards the shooter with his lead leg blocking the heart. The last shot should have been put dead center right on the front shoulder. I too would have kept shooting until the bull was DRT. too bad he had to get up and walk away from that before giving up the ghost.

He does show one of the bullets he retreived from the elk and my guess is it's a bonded core .308 or bigger, and a nice mushroom so still had plenty of velocity at impact.

Also appears to me that they are just holding for elevation. they make a comment that they want the bull to get within 400 yards which is about max range for an accurate holdover shot on a bull using a duplex reticle. Although I don't recall hearing anything about actual yardage once they finally shoot.

Just goes to show you how tough a big bull can be. Shoot till their head is on the ground is how I roll. But I hunt with a 338...

Would like to know what he is shooting???

I've been telling my dad that for YEARS!! If it's movin' I'm still shootin'! I LOVE a 338!

They definitely have a strong will to live. The caliber and bullet choice would be nice to know. I personally would have put another one in him, if for no other reason the humane factor, even though he wasn't going far.

Especially if you're going to post it on Youtube!

That has nothing to do with how tough a bull is but has everything to do with **** poor shot placement!!

First shot way back, maybe a little liver with the humping up and rocking back, second shot top of shoulder way to high to do anything more than stun the spin and make you think your a rock star, third shot was pitiful but at least he saw where it hit an corrected an finally put bullet #4 in the boiler.

Yeah, how can you completely miss that 3rd shot?!?!?

Terrible shooting... As hunters, I think we owe it to them to dispatch them as quickly as we can. This guy IMO has no business out in the wood.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.