Why is 20” ok for 7 PRC but not 7 Rem mag?

When I got my first chronograph , Made by Acme Inc. A subsidiary of Roadrunner enterprise. It was an eye opener. I'd been guessing at velocity, using what was posted on the box and reloading manuals. Most times it was close. Other times way off. Had me afraid to shoot much past three hundred.
A friend of mine says the only thing a chronograph is good for is to ruin the sentimental value of your favorite handload.

Ever heard the saying "Science advances one death at a time."

I think most human brains like ideas or thoughts about the world to be "complete" at some point. It's simply cognitively easier to make a conclusion and not think about it anymore. Thinking rationally through ideas and changing your mind is difficult for most people.

I learned pretty early in my career that discussing an issue rationally and making an airtight argument with my boss or other higher up in a meeting was not met with encouragement. It was met with hatred. Most especially if it destroyed some long held belief. It wasn't the idea but the cognitive dissonance it caused them. I had in fact shaken their foundations.

It's why people fight so often on the internet over new information.
Holy smokes man. Perfect!

Chat forums tell me 20"-22" 7mm PRC is a great choice!! Same forums trash a 20" 7 Rem Mag.

Once an idea is established in the halls of the chat forums, it might as well have been brought down from the mountain on a stone tablet.

Is it bc the 7mag barrel length debate is well established in chat as gospel, but any new chambering is open to interpretation to justify our own selection bias? (Aka, I "need" a 20" 7mag, so this shiny new thing will work perfectly!)

20 years ago a .308 would have been considered a marginal choice for Elk, now the 6.5 CM is a perfect 600 yard Elk gun. I argue that good marketing persuaded chat forum users to establish this "fact". After all, nobody was running around yelling that the 260 Rem was the perfect 600 yard Elk rifle. (Everyone knows 260 Rem > 6.5 CM … 🙂)

So, can someone explain why a 20" 7mm PRC is perfectly acceptable, but same length in a 7 Rem mag would be downright foolishness?
You're exactly right 👆🏻……the only distinguishing data that I can think of is that 7rm in 1:10 compared to 7prc 1:8 would probably differ. Both calibers in same twist are probably pretty comparable, I would maybe give the edge to 7rm 1:8. What's your thoughts…..?

You're exactly right 👆🏻……the only distinguishing data that I can think of is that 7rm in 1:10 compared to 7prc 1:8 would probably differ. Both calibers in same twist are probably pretty comparable, I would maybe give the edge to 7rm 1:8. What's your thoughts…..?
It's mostly marketing. If you slap a new barrel with a faster twist on an old rifle all that matters is the number of grains of powder.

I know you didn't ask me directly, but I think the 7PRC checks the minutiae boxes of the latest precision cartridge design. Are the enhancements leaps and bounds better? I don't think so. For a guy with no 7mm yet and in the market for one, the 7PRC makes a logical choice. I think this sum biscuit 7PRC is gonna stay too, so the component availability argument for the 7mm Mag will be moot.

If a guy already has a 7mm Mag I don't think it wise to abandon and jump on the wagon. N stuff...

I know you didn't ask me directly, but I think the 7PRC checks the minutiae boxes of the latest precision cartridge design. Are the enhancements leaps and bounds better? I don't think so. For a guy with no 7mm yet and in the market for one, the 7PRC makes a logical choice. I think this sum biscuit 7PRC is gonna stay too, so the component availability argument for the 7mm Mag will be moot.

If a guy already has a 7mm Mag I don't think it wise to abandon and jump on the wagon. N stuff...
Totally agree with you….

My local gun store has 8 boxes of Hornady 7PRC Eldx hunting for $60/box. I bet that stuff shoots excellent & eliminates the reason a lot of guys would even need to Reload for that cartridge……marketing
But where's the fun in that? 😁

I think most of us loathe the thought of doing anything the easy way haha

My local gun store has 8 boxes of Hornady 7PRC Eldx hunting for $60/box. I bet that stuff shoots excellent & eliminates the reason a lot of guys would even need to Reload for that cartridge……marketing
Except I could reload them for $1.15 to $1.30 per round. Instead of the $3.00 plus tax at gun store. And that's using top line bullets.

It would/will be interesting to see when someone take the time to do the good old cut the long barrel down an inch at a time velocity test with the 7 prc with several powders and bullet weights.. Would be fun to do if you plan on a short barrel build to start out long and end up with the barrel length you intended.