Why have a 25-06 if you have a 270 win or 30-06

This is my thinking for ackley cartridges also. If you want a 280ai why not just buy a 7mm mag. 25-05ai just buy a 257 weatherby. I personally think its for a good conversation piece at deer camp. What you shoot? Oh I shoot a 7AI with a flux capacitor shoulder on it. It gives me the same velocities as a 7mm rem but it takes me 32 more steps when reloading it.

That's Funny! I have 3 ackleys, And they are all high performance cartridges, but I have them strictly because they are a diffrent cartridge than what every one else has.... I've gotta have a hobby.

As for the .25-06, I think it's a cool cartridge. I had one once and wish I never sold it. It's best left for the deer and antelope at at ranges of 400yds or less.

Dan

Why I choose the 25-06 over the 270 or 30-06. I am a WT deer hunter. I helped do crop damage control for 15 years and shot multiple deer with about every factory and many wildcat calibers from 22lr through the 45-70. There is just something about the 25-06 that just plain kills deer right in their tracks 99% of the time. With 117 gr Sierra bullets to 600 yards bang flop. I can't explain it but the proof is in the actual field experience.

personaly its the 270 i have never seen a use for. the 2506 is just as good on deer sized game and better on varmit sized game for double duty. Then the 06 is capable of shooting heavier bullets making it a better choise for elk and larger game. Ive never had a 270 in the house long enough to get attached. that said i do have a couple 280s i wouldnt part with. I guess bottom line is a guy shouldnt have to justify using something differnt. It would be pretty boring hunting everyday with the same 06.

My brother and I have 2 different views. His first rifle was a 270, just like my first chambered. It was almost 20 years after his first rifle that I sort of talked him into a 300 SAUM when Rem put them on a serious sale. Those are the only 2 rifles he's purchased. He inherited our uncle's 308 semi-auto which he never uses.

The only time I've ever known him to use the 300 was in Canada on a bear hunt and on 1-2 hunts in SC for deer simply because it is a light wt rifle. But he likes the mild recoil in his custom 270 with the 110 TSX bullets I load for him.

I have unfortunately gravitated towards a multi-rifle arsenal. I have rifles I shoot very seldom and absolutely do not need all of the ones I have but I do like having to go through the decision process of which rifles to take on a hunt. I'll be in CO this November for a late season muley hunt. I still haven't decided which 2 rifles are going. I have 4 new builds I haven't even shot yet.

I'll play with my current toys for a couple of years then I think I'm going to sell most of them. They are all left handed.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.