Why do so many people not like the 338 Lapua?

You were comparing it to a Hodgdon powder so I gave Hodgdon as a reference. Despite what the load data says, in actual usage RL26 is not close to Retumbo in burn rate. It falls between H4831 and H1000.
It does fall between 4831 and Retombo there are 18 different powders that do,it would be below reloader 25 that narrows it down a great deal

You were comparing it to a Hodgdon powder so I gave Hodgdon as a reference. Despite what the load data says, in actual usage RL26 is not close to Retumbo in burn rate. It falls between H4831 and H1000.
It does fall between 4831 and Retombo there are 18 different powders that do,it would be below reloader 25 that narrows it down a great deal

I am currently looking for a new rifle. finally settled down to either a Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor or the FCP HS 338 Lapua. I have been going back and forth between these 2 for some time. I tend to research a lot before purchasing anything.

a few years ago I owned a Rem Sendero 300 RUM. I liked it but always felt I should have gotten the 338 RUM version due to better ballistics of 338 bullets.

looking up the 338 Lapua, you would think that most people shooting long range would be all over this round. Especially with the new lighter, muzzle braked rifles coming out.

this is just a thread to start a discussion on the reality of this round....or odd ideas that I have difficulties agreeing with.

1. it's a military sniper round. Reality is, it was developed for military for efficient delivery of the great 338 bullets. no more powerful than a 340 weather by which shoots the same bullets. many of todays most popular cartridges originally were developed for pretty much the same reason......223, 308 win, 30-06, 6.5x55....on and on. no one seems to connect those rounds with the OMG THAT IS A MILITARY ROUND concept.

2. it's WAY overkill. my ideas are as follows. can someone please explain the concept of overkill. my idea of hunting is to cause enough damage to the game to make certain is has little to no suffering. yes I only hunt animals for meat. don't believe in killing just to kill. yes I do not want to "blow up" the game so there is the least amount of waste. however, being in the medical profession, I do understand that there needs to be a certain amount of trauma to lead to a quick death. so, wouldn't the right approach be to try to ensure that the animal drops in it's tracks rather than run and slowly expire in 50 yards? using a larger cartridge like the Lapua does not guarantee that this will occur but will greatly improve the odds.

3. a lot of posts go like this........wow, that 338 Lapua is so expensive to shoot or reload. but int the same post they will say...you should build the rifle on a custom action, custom barrel, custom stock, put on the $2000 Night force scope with the best mounting rings and base. in reality the cost of 338 Lapua ammo is on par with the larger Weatherby rounds. People don't seem to complain that much about the $$ of Weatherby ammo.

4. OMG it recoils too much. from what I understand, most of the rifles in this round have muzzle brakes. more like shooting a 308. so....

5. Rifles are too heavy. Savage has 2 that are around 10 lbs. Rem 700 was also lighter. I am certain there are others. A concept I have a hard time with is trying to build as light a rifle as possible but then complain that the 308 winchester just kicks like a mule in that rifle. Are we expecting too much out of a rifle? similar idea going on right now in the concealed carry revolvers...super light weight but then complain about shooting the 38 special. of course light weight will be uncomfortable.

just seems to be a lot of dislike for this cartridge but when compared to other cartridges I am having a hard time understanding why the dislike. If a person is able to afford that round, cost aside, isn't the Lapua a great all around cartridge? and now Savage is offering a few very nice options for that round. seems to me like this would be a great platform to target shoot, hunt most game at most ranges.

I tend to like actual facts rather than hear-say.....

just trying to vent a little and looking for your thoughts based on real experience.
My 338 lapua only weighed 13lbs with a scope. Would shoot a 3 shot group at 100 yards in one ragged hole.
If you hand load after buying brass and dies, you can load for about $1.25-1.50 a round.
Put a T-3 Terminator muzzle brake on it and it wil recoil Life a 308.
If u want a lighter gun build with proof research carbon barrel. Will reduce weight by 2lbs.
If you are not going to take game at extreme ranges, go with a smaller caliber.
6.5 is not in the same league as a 338 Lapua for long-range energy on targets or game.
The large heavy and longer bullet in the 338 also has less wind drift.

Attachments

• IMG_20180901_162634119_LL.jpg
    IMG_20180901_162634119_LL.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20170604_142515498_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170604_142515498_HDR.jpg
    625.5 KB · Views: 80
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.