Who was your mentor (regarding guns, hunting, etc.) ?

Carlos88

I'll start. My Dad.

My earliest recollection of being around guns, reloading, etc was sitting in Dad's lap blowing out primer residue after he scraped the pocket with a Grace screw driver ('63-'64). It is remarkably efficient.

He had a bedroom dedicated to his hunting goods, 3'x3' reloading table, five or six sets of dies, a C&H press and a powder scale. The cartridges were .22LR, .243, .270, 30-06, .38 Special, 44-40, 44 magnum. All were rifle cartridges except the .38 which was a S&W Combat Masterpiece, 4" barrel. The 22LR was a cut down Model 75 Target model with a sporter stock. The .243 was a Mexican Mauser (1910) with a Browning barrel and a Weatherby styled stock and a K4, .270 was a Husqvarna 1600/1640 with a custom stock, 21" Douglas barrel and a Leupold 3-9x42 attached by Weaver mounts, .30-06 was Model 70 FWT with a K3. Both of the 44's were rebarreled 94s with 18" Douglas barrels.

We shot weekly. Mostly 22LR which was used to conserve powder.

I'll post a little more later.

My mentor was a friend of my dads , who was a hunting nut, named jack . He also was part owner of a big sports shop .
Jack took me under his wing , and got me started hunting with his family and friends.
It was around the early 70's , he and his friends hunted hard , no slings on rifles and most of the time they ran jump dogs, so the shooting was off hand ,and moving targets.
I copied every move at 14 years old , still I don't hunt with a sling .
Jack and his wife moved to Oregon years ago but I still drop in and see them occasionally.

My dad and grandpa. I used to listen to them for hours talking about new guns, cartridges, scopes, etc. I would absorb all I could. I started studying all the latest ballistic charts I could get my hands on. By the time I was 12 I had finally got the respect of my grandpa to the point that he'd call me to ask what I thought of this cartridge or that one (usually the newer stuff he wasn't familiar with). Dad bought me my first rifle at 8 (marlin model 60 still in safe), .410 at 10, model 4 .243 at 12, then a M700 in .270 along with my first press and reloading equipment at 14. I owe it all to both. They spoon fed me this addiction! Just before my grandpa passed I picked up a 1st year production Winchester model 1910 that I'd been searching for since he first told me stories about the old .401. I brought it to the assisted living place he was at and seeing him light up that I remembered the stories was priceless. I miss him and am still fortunate to have my father around still. Although we don't get to shoot together anymore, we can still spend lots of time talking guns.

I am in the other camp, unfortunately. No one taught me anything, and I have had to learn everything for myself through trial and error. Some lessons seem to have stuck better this way, but others I have completely missed.
Me too my dad didn't hunt although my grandfather was a gunsmith and a mechanic as well. He gave me my first gun,a double barrel 12 gauge that I still have.

I am in the other camp, unfortunately. No one taught me anything, and I have had to learn everything for myself through trial and error. Some lessons seem to have stuck better this way, but others I have completely missed.
This was me as well, never had a mentor so mostly trial and error (mostly error). I always say that I may not know what to do but I probably know what not to do and that usually translates into the same thing. Young folks need someone that will give them guidance, then if only they would listen. 😂 Mentorship and discipline are the two things lacking in our society today.

Same here! I made sure my sons (now 31 and 34) had what it takes to keep the tradition alive and well.

My Grandpa and my uncles were my mentors. I used to sit and talk about hunting with my grandpa in the evenings when I lived with him. He was born in 1893 and had many stories of hunting and trapping in the old days. My Uncle gave me my first .22 rifle ( still in my safe) when I was 12 years old. It was the start of hunting and shooting that has grown every since.

Last edited:
My earliest recollection of being around guns, reloading, etc was sitting in Dad's lap blowing out primer residue after he scraped the pocket with a Grace screw driver
I did that.

Learned the BASICS from my daddy.
Learned how to makem shoot gooood from a place on the innerweb called
longrangehunting.com. Y'all should look it up sometimes😉