Who is in love with their 260rem?

Personally, I prefer the 260AI version. Mostly, I run 24-26 inch tubes with 1/8tw, but my latest build was with a 28 inch 1/8tw. It can push 143's at a chrono'd 3050fps without heavy pressure signs, and I have reached 3,100 with some beginning pressure indications. The accuracy of this cartridge is superb and is very efficient compared to a few larger capacity 6.5's. The standard 260 with a 9tw will serve you well for many hunting situations.

I love my 260. It is a Sako TRG 22 that Eurooptic commissioned years ago. I has an 8 twist barrel. 46 grains of H4831sc, 210M, and 140 SMK has been a great combination mainly used for shooting steel out to 1300 yards. I am now working on a 130 Berger OTM with H4350 for hunting purposes. So far, it is holding a 3" group at 1000 yards.

I cannot say enough good things about the 260. A very easy rifle to shoot accurately from a technical standpoint. 130 Bergers over 42g I4350 gets me around 2830fps - 4.2 MOA at 300 yards and groups very nicely. Unlike some other commenters, I've not found the 260 to be hard on brass. I've reloaded some of my brass so many times I've literally lost count. Lately, I've begun to trash brass just on the general principle that it's GOT to be worn out. Primer pockets are stil snug and no signs of cracking anywhere.

Last edited:
I have 3 260s and they all shoot well. 139gr Scenars with 42.5 grains of H4350 works well and consistently produces sub half-inch groups.

doesn't? Shilen .264 barrel blank, but didnt pay attention to what twist when I was ordering and got a 9twist, so I'm thinking it's a good candidate for a 260Rem, who loves them who doesnt?
Need to order a reamer and get this project started already, just not sure what this barrel wants to become. Going to put it on a Savage SA I have laying around.
The 260 is very sweet in a long action if you have one of them laying around. The PTG reamer I have for 260 is made for the longer bullets and the thicker neck on Lupua brass. The 260 in a long action let's you seat the bigger bullets out longer to gain capacity in the case. I really like the round just like it more in a long action. My two pennies

doesn't? Shilen .264 barrel blank, but didnt pay attention to what twist when I was ordering and got a 9twist, so I'm thinking it's a good candidate for a 260Rem, who loves them who doesnt?
Need to order a reamer and get this project started already, just not sure what this barrel wants to become. Going to put it on a Savage SA I have laying around.
i have 2 , a sako target and remington 700 ! what i like is the ease in reloading , plus good bullets available for both hunting and target ! ive used both for 600 competition and loaded light for prairie dog in utah out to 400 yds !

When I bought my rem in 260 actually wanted a Creedmore 6.5. Cabelas had several different makes on sale, but I was not very impressed they drug out the Remington but at that time it was not available in creedmore, only 260 Remington. I did not know anything about the 260 but looked up the ballistics and back ground. Now glad I did. They now offer Creedmore in the same model I built an AR10 Creedmore, like shooting the 260 more.

I absolutely love my 260 Rem! My bbl is a 1:836 twist. I have quarter MOA loads for all my loads from 120-142 gr!
I compete and hunt with this rifle.
All my loads are with H4831 SC or H4350.
I measure all loads off the ogive. My bullets I use consist of Barnes 120 TSX, Berger 140 VLD, SMK 140, Hornady amax and ELDs 140 gr, and Nosler 142 LR AB! Get you one is awesome!

If you have a magnum action you might chamber it in 264 win mag or 26 Nosler and shoot 100 or 108 grain bullets for a varmint rifle for long range coyotes or other. Varmints. Just use it for hunting and plinking.

If you have a magnum action you might chamber it in 264 win mag or 26 Nosler and shoot 100 or 108 grain bullets for a varmint rifle for long range coyotes or other. Varmints. Just use it for hunting and plinking.
Post #1.
Savage SA

Good buddy is a seasoned master gunsmith, he really likes the 6.5 PRC. He has shot/built most everything but the big really big bores, F-Class shooter, all that...

I bought my first 6.5 caliber about 8 years ago, a rem700 varmint in .260, and I've never looked back. I put a criterion barrel on it and hunt with it along with informal target out to a thousand. It's fun to shoot all day and crazy accurate. The nosler 140 custom competition shoots excellent in a 1/9 twist. The ELD is marginal. I really like the 129SST for game.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.