White tail bullet for 308 Winchester 1:12 twist

Remington 700 26 in. Barrel 1:12 twist. looking for 150 gr or 165gr bullet that can be stabilized.

Any bullet you have any business shooting out of a .308 will stabilize in a 12 twist. You won't have any trouble unless you get over 200 grs. Pick the bullet you want and go hunting, don't worry about it stabilizing.

We've gotten so preoccupied with twist lately that guys think you have to spin 'em like a buzzsaw to make them shoot. It ain't so!

I'm using a 1:11.25 twist and have had great success with Hornady 150 SST Superformance. Hits hard at 300-400 yards and the extra 150-200fps really adds up as you get out there.

don't know why anyone would bother with anyting but a 150 to 165 cup and core bullet with the 308 for deer hunting. You sure don't need anything heavier and you risk poor expansion out at 300 yards with the heavies and the premium bullets. Aint rocket science. 150-165 good old standard bullets have been killing deer in the 308 since its introduction

don't know why anyone would bother with anyting but a 150 to 165 cup and core bullet with the 308 for deer hunting. You sure don't need anything heavier and you risk poor expansion out at 300 yards with the heavies and the premium bullets. Aint rocket science. 150-165 good old standard bullets have been killing deer in the 308 since its introduction

There is a lot more to bullet expansion then weight.
If the op ever wants to venture past 300 yards then the heavy bullets are gonna offer more energy on target and less windage error.

Anyone else hear an echo?

were talking 300 yard whitetail hunting not 500plus yard paper punching. How many deer out at 300 yards have you shot with 185 grain bullets? Energy figures are just that FIGURES. Deer I shoot don't know math. Ive shot enough deer with the 308 to get an idea what it takes to kill them quickly and cleanly. Big difference in paper ballistics and target shooting then actually killing something. this post was about 300 yard deer hunting and even if the range snuck out a bit futher a 150 or 165 cup and core bullet is still plenty accurate and is going to open up not poke a hole through the deer and let it run off and die slowly. I shoot deer. Lots of deer. My opinion comes from that not from a calculator. Ive shot enough deer with even the 06 using 180s to know there not reliable expanders at 300 yards. I don't even fool with bullets heavier then 165s FOR DEER HUNTING unless im shooting a magnum that has enough velocity to push them to speeds they will expand reliably. this doesn't come from one or two deer or even 10 or 20 it comes from LOTS of deer shot.
There is a lot more to bullet expansion then weight.
If the op ever wants to venture past 300 yards then the heavy bullets are gonna offer more energy on target and less windage error.

Anyone else hear an echo?

were talking 300 yard whitetail hunting not 500plus yard paper punching. How many deer out at 300 yards have you shot with 185 grain bullets? Energy figures are just that FIGURES. Deer I shoot don't know math. Ive shot enough deer with the 308 to get an idea what it takes to kill them quickly and cleanly. Big difference in paper ballistics and target shooting then actually killing something. this post was about 300 yard deer hunting and even if the range snuck out a bit futher a 150 or 165 cup and core bullet is still plenty accurate and is going to open up not poke a hole through the deer and let it run off and die slowly. I shoot deer. Lots of deer. My opinion comes from that not from a calculator. Ive shot enough deer with even the 06 using 180s to know there not reliable expanders at 300 yards. I don't even fool with bullets heavier then 165s FOR DEER HUNTING unless im shooting a magnum that has enough velocity to push them to speeds they will expand reliably. this doesn't come from one or two deer or even 10 or 20 it comes from LOTS of deer shot.

What post exactly did the OP say his shots were going to be limited to 300 yds because i must have missed that.

Im not talking about any 180 gn bullet. Construction plays a large part in a bullets terminal abilities. Im specifically talking about the berger 185 vld.

Ive taken an assortment of animals from 30 yds to 698yds ( being the longest ) with the berger 185 from a 308 with a 1:12 twist.

My expansion beyond 300 yards on soft skinned animals is just as if not more consitent than those taken inside 300 yards. No animals i took with this bullet were tracked. Two pigs i shot in the shoulder instead of the heart i finished off with a pistol. I shot two pigs at once with the 185 just over 630 and both were laying just where they stood when hit by the time i got there. Bullet expanded in the first and stopped in the second.

If you like the 150's and 160's thats great. Im entitled to offer my opinion just the same as you. I happen to have a high opinion of the berger 185 for target and game. After firing a few thousand of them i feel i have a pretty good grip on how they act.

These are the experiences my opinions are formed from. Not numbers from a calculator. You should ask a question or two before you assume my foundation of knowledge and experience.

Can. Bushman, sounds like pretty good performance. I have been thinking about the 185 Classic Hunter, only because I want them to be mag length. As for the 178, anyone who thinks they don't expand in Deer past 300 yards have not used them.

Can. Bushman, sounds like pretty good performance. I have been thinking about the 185 Classic Hunter, only because I want them to be mag length. As for the 178, anyone who thinks they don't expand in Deer past 300 yards have not used them.

Ive never used the classic hunter, so i cant offer an opinion there.
Expansion isn't typically an issue for the amax.

I guess where we differ is im a long range hunter and not a long range shooter. Im more conserned with picking the best bullet and launching platform for the job and that's killing the deer not the best bullet for shooting long range. I pick from my best deer hunting bullets where some here pick from there best long range target bullets and loads. Honestly I could care less to use a 308 at 500 yards or more to kill deer. I have much better guns in the safe for that duty. My 308s get used when the ranges are 300 yards or less or for shooting inanimate objects. If I want to kill a deer out at 600 yards and know its a possibility when I leave the house ill grab my 7stw or my 300 ultra or at least a 257wby, 300mag or 7mag. I don't feel a need to prove I can do it with a 308 anymore then I have a need to prove I can shoot a deer at a 100 yards with a 30 carbine or 3220. If you start that bullet at a realistic 2600 fps at 600 yards its got 80 inches of drop and is traveling only 1700fps. It hits with about the same energy a 150 grain 3030 would at 300 yards. Hardly deer hunting medicine in my book. Maybe if the only gun I had was a 308 and the buck of a lifetime showed up out there id give it a crack but after shooting as many deer at long range as I have I know how little power is left in a 308 at those ranges. Then mix that in with a target bullet that wasn't designed for big game hunting in the first place and theres just to many variables for me to launch a bullet at a deer. If its what you want then go for it. Im just posting my opinion and what your doing is totally legal so I have to complaint with it. I don't have to track those deer. Like I said the difference here is im a hunter that shoots long range occasionaly. Not a long range target shooter who wants to actually kill something with his target gun and load. Ill bow out of this now. Like I said what your doing is legal and none of my business. You have your right to your opinion just as I do. Nothing your going to say is going to convince me that your on to something I need to pay attention to. After shooting well over 300 deer Ive got some pretty sound ideas on what works and what doesn't.

Last edited:
really?

what the...

I guess where we differ is im a long range hunter and not a long range shooter. Im more conserned with picking the best bullet for the job and that's killing the deer not the best bullet for shooting long range. I pick from my best deer hunting bullets where some here pick from there best long range target bullets and loads. Honestly I could care less to use a 308 at 500 yards or more to kill deer. I have much better guns in the safe for that duty. My 308s get used when the ranges are 300 yards or less or for shooting inanimate objects. If I want to kill a deer out at 600 yards and know its a possibility when I leave the house ill grab my 7stw or my 300 ultra or at least a 257wby, 300mag or 7mag. I don't feel a need to prove I can do it with a 308 anymore then I have a need to prove I can shoot a deer at a 100 yards with a 30 carbine or 3220. If you start that bullet at a realistic 2600 fps at 600 yards its got 80 inches of drop and is traveling only 1700fps. It hits with about the same energy a 150 grain 3030 would at 300 yards. Hardly deer hunting medicine in my book. Maybe if the only gun I had was a 308 and the buck of a lifetime showed up out there id give it a crack but after shooting as many deer at long range as I have I know how little power is left in a 308 at those ranges. Then mix that in with a target bullet that wasn't designed for big game hunting in the first place and theres just to many variables for me to launch a bullet at a deer. If its what you want then go for it. Im just posting my opinion and what your doing is totally legal so I have to complaint with it. I don't have to track those deer. Like I said the difference here is im a hunter that shoots long range occasionaly. Not a long range target shooter who wants to actually kill something with his target gun and load.
These post show me you have little experience with the .308 or 30-06. With a good bullet both are packing enough energy to kill a deer to 800 yards. I think the reason you are turned against the .308 past 300 is the very bullet you claim is the best choice for .308. A 165 cup and core is not the best bullet for long range deer hunting in .308. If all you have is the .308 for long range, you have a lot .

I guess where we differ is im a long range hunter and not a long range shooter. Im more conserned with picking the best bullet and launching platform for the job and that's killing the deer not the best bullet for shooting long range.

I suppose im the target shooter here?
??????
Im pretty concerned with both

I pick from my best deer hunting bullets where some here pick from there best long range target bullets and loads. Honestly I could care less to use a 308 at 500 yards or more to kill deer. I have much better guns in the safe for that duty. My 308s get used when the ranges are 300 yards or less or for shooting inanimate objects.

Berger 185 match vld hunting
If you cared more about shooting your 308 on game past 300 yards, this bullet is an option you should consider
I understand you dont care to shoot your 308 past 300 yds on game or with a bullet larger than 150 gns. Thats fine. Dont deprive others from viable understanding because its outside of your comfort zone

If I want to kill a deer out at 600 yards and know its a possibility when I leave the house ill grab my 7stw or my 300 ultra or at least a 257wby, 300mag or 7mag. I don't feel a need to prove I can do it with a 308 anymore then I have a need to prove I can shoot a deer at a 100 yards with a 30 carbine or 3220.

Thats great im glad you have so many options available to you. But the op specifically asked about a 1:12 twist 308.

If you start that bullet at a realistic 2600 fps at 600 yards its got 80 inches of drop and is traveling only 1700fps. It hits with about the same energy a 150 grain 3030 would at 300 yards. Hardly deer hunting medicine in my book.

So my recommendation hits with the same energy (1230ftlbs) at twice the range but its not as viable as a 150?
I just crono a buddys rifle who shoots hornady 150 gn soft points in his 08 and is only pulling 2850.
So if your gonna push your bullet choice up to its max velocity for what 30" palma rifles shoot it at and pull mine down to a "realistic 2600" perhaps you have an agenda here.

Maybe if the only gun I had was a 308 and the buck of a lifetime showed up out there id give it a crack but after shooting as many deer at long range as I have I know how little power is left in a 308 at those ranges. Then mix that in with a target bullet that wasn't designed for big game hunting in the first place and theres just to many variables for me to launch a bullet at a deer. If its what you want then go for it. Im just posting my opinion and what your doing is totally legal so I have to complaint with it. I don't have to track those deer. Like I said the difference here is im a hunter that shoots long range occasionaly. Not a long range target shooter who wants to actually kill something with his target gun and load.

Its like a broken record here.
With a 150 the power is on the low end thats why i recommended doubling it with a 185 - even by your math.
Its a hunting bullet thats why it says recommend for hunting on the side of the box.
No your contesting my opinion, after you posted your opinion. If you were simply posting your opinion it wouldnt require so many words from both of us.

I still agree with my first post suggestion of the Berger 185 VLD Hunting.

I use it in my .30-06 AI, but I have been thinking about doing some quick load development with it for my .308 Win, as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.