White tail bullet for 308 Winchester 1:12 twist

been doing crop damage shooting for about 15 years now and my worse year was 32 (which by the way was this year and three of them were with an 06 and one a 308) and best was a 102 add to that ive probably shot 20 deer combined with 308s and 06s during regular season and im now 58 and got my first deer rifle (an o6) at 13 years old. Id say Ive got my share and probably your share too of deer killing experience with 308s and 06s. Id make a conservative guess at at least a 100 between the two. Lets here how many you've killed at 800 yards now to pass judgement on me. In all those years of shooting deer ive lost exactly two. Both to barnes bullets in a 25 cal. I pride myself on knowing my equiptment and knowing its capabilitys not on how far I can stretch those capabilitys. yes in that time ive taken my share of deer at 600 yards. But only when I have an absolute rock steady rest and a gun with enough power to anchor a deer. If not I pass and wait for another. remember deer are those brown animal looking things and targets are the white circles ;)
really?

what the...

These post show me you have little experience with the .308 or 30-06. With a good bullet both are packing enough energy to kill a deer to 800 yards. I think the reason you are turned against the .308 past 300 is the very bullet you claim is the best choice for .308. A 165 cup and core is not the best bullet for long range deer hunting in .308. If all you have is the .308 for long range, you have a lot .

I guess I am contesting your opinion because ive shot enough long range deer that Id never head out in the field to shoot deer at 300 with a 3030 and I wouldn't head out intentionaly to shoot deer at 600 with ANY load in a 308. I like many others here have a safe full of rifles and sure cant see taking a chance on an animal suffering just to prove I can kill him with the least amount of power available to me and over the years ive come to detest tracking wounded deer. SO WHY EVEN TRY IT???? I know im capable of hiting them I can prove that with a target. To me its kind of like showing up to the Daytona 500 with a prius. Yup it will make it around the track but its surely not even close to being the ideal tool to do it. Ill bow out of this post too. Ive shot enough deer to know better and theres no convincing those who haven't
I suppose im the target shooter here?
??????
Im pretty concerned with both

Berger 185 match vld hunting
If you cared more about shooting your 308 on game past 300 yards, this bullet is an option you should consider
I understand you dont care to shoot your 308 past 300 yds on game or with a bullet larger than 150 gns. Thats fine. Dont deprive others from viable understanding because its outside of your comfort zone

Thats great im glad you have so many options available to you. But the op specifically asked about a 1:12 twist 308.

So my recommendation hits with the same energy (1230ftlbs) at twice the range but its not as viable as a 150?
I just crono a buddys rifle who shoots hornady 150 gn soft points in his 08 and is only pulling 2850.
So if your gonna push your bullet choice up to its max velocity for what 30" palma rifles shoot it at and pull mine down to a "realistic 2600" perhaps you have an agenda here.

Its like a broken record here.
With a 150 the power is on the low end thats why i recommended doubling it with a 185 - even by your math.
Its a hunting bullet thats why it says recommend for hunting on the side of the box.
No your contesting my opinion, after you posted your opinion. If you were simply posting your opinion it wouldnt require so many words from both of us.

I guess I am contesting your opinion because ive shot enough long range deer that Id never head out in the field to shoot deer at 300 with a 3030 and I wouldn't head out intentionaly to shoot deer at 600 with ANY load in a 308. I like many others here have a safe full of rifles and sure cant see taking a chance on an animal suffering just to prove I can kill him with the least amount of power available to me and over the years ive come to detest tracking wounded deer. SO WHY EVEN TRY IT???? I know im capable of hiting them I can prove that with a target. To me its kind of like showing up to the Daytona 500 with a prius. Yup it will make it around the track but its surely not even close to being the ideal tool to do it. Ill bow out of this post too. Ive shot enough deer to know better and theres no convincing those who haven't

Ok let me try one more time to return this discussion to actual facts about 308's and the OP's question without defaming lloyds character and inserting words into his mouth like he seems determined to do to me. Which is completely uncalled for, not appreciated, and will also be the reason this is my last post addressing this debate.

Again i recommend the 185 vld because it fully stabilizes plus some in a 1:12 twist 308, has reliable expansion on game, carries a lot of energy over a large distance, stays in its optimal operating velocity over a long range and doubles as a fantastic target bullet with a high B.C. It also opens on game at much lower velocities than bergers advised 1800 fps

A quick comparison.
Hornady 150gn sp B.C .338 MV 2900 with 3mph full value wind
The gun i just tested last weekend was a 24" rem 700 firing this bullet from hornady factory ammo and averaged 2835 and i think we tweaked the bc to .325. So by my most recent experience this is a generous calculation.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
And the berger 185 vld at 2600 under the same conditions
*This is modest my 308 maxed out just under 2700 with the 185 in a 26" barrel although my greatest accuracy was achieved near 2600 fps. This bc was proven in my rifle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
since were hunting with paper:) punch in a 165 ballistic tip that has a bc of .475 at 2750 which is very doable even out of my little Kimber Montana.

been doing crop damage shooting for about 15 years now and my worse year was 32 (which by the way was this year and three of them were with an 06 and one a 308) and best was a 102 add to that ive probably shot 20 deer combined with 308s and 06s during regular season and im now 58 and got my first deer rifle (an o6) at 13 years old. Id say Ive got my share and probably your share too of deer killing experience with 308s and 06s. Id make a conservative guess at at least a 100 between the two. Lets here how many you've killed at 800 yards now to pass judgement on me. In all those years of shooting deer ive lost exactly two. Both to barnes bullets in a 25 cal. I pride myself on knowing my equiptment and knowing its capabilitys not on how far I can stretch those capabilitys. yes in that time ive taken my share of deer at 600 yards. But only when I have an absolute rock steady rest and a gun with enough power to anchor a deer. If not I pass and wait for another. remember deer are those brown animal looking things and targets are the white circles ;)
Your the smartest guy on here, nobody can shoot anything past 300yards unless they have a magnum, right? I'm going to ignore your opinions because they hold no water in this forum,

nobody can shoot anything past 300yards unless they have a magnum
Show me where I said that. Typical response from someone who has more keyboard experience then deer killing. If you cant add some real world experience to it then just make a personal attack.:) Don't worry, I have big sholders. What ive posted comes from real world deer killing not the internet or in the dreams of some wanabe sniper.

Show me where I said that. Typical response from someone who has more keyboard experience then deer killing. If you cant add some real world experience to it then just make a personal attack.:) Don't worry, I have big sholders. What ive posted comes from real world deer killing not the internet or in the dreams of some wanabe sniper.

If you can't do it, it can't be done....
You are all things deer and rifle, aren't you.
A 180 gr at 2700 fps just won't kill a deer past 300, right ?
Sure that's right, you are always right.

you sure like that 300 yard figure:rolleyes: and sure hate common sense answers that take away from those sniper fantasiesgun) you can have this now. Im out of here:D

Look at the Barnes Reloading data. I shoot the Barnes 150 grain Tipped Triple Shocks. Lapua brass, Wolf LR primers, 45.5 grains of H-4895, loaded 2.810" COAL. They are running 2885fps out of my 20" model 7 Remington with a 1:12, 5R barrel. Have taken deer from point blank to 467 yds. Shoots sub .5moa out to 600 yds.
Nat Lambeth

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.