white lithium grease

ukenout

I watched a you tube video of a guy glass bedding a rifle this evening. He used white lithium grease as the release agent. He also use Devcon steel putty. I am planning to use Marine Tex on my Rem 700 and was wondering if the white lithium grease would work for my release agent or should I stick with the paste floor wax?

Stick with what you know works!

It reduces the ol' pucker factor on that first attempt to break it free.;)

My minwax paste has never failed.

I've been tempted to try it because it's available in a spray can. Could get in corners, crevices easy, but like Roy, am satisfied with the wax.

My guess is that it would work.

Tom

I've been using Kiwi neutral shoe polish after watching Richard Franklins pillar-bedding video and and perfectly satisfied with that. I'm sure it's about the same as the paste waxes but it is another alternative that does work well. I apply liberally with fingers and q-tips, then let it dry a few minutes and buff it off with a paper towel. It's worked great so far and much better than the Brownell's agents I've used in the past. Oh, and I'm using it with Devcon steel putty.

If you want a nicer surface finish in the resin, skip the floor wax/paste wax and go with a commercial mold release agent in an aerosol can. You won't have "swirlys" with the rattle can.

Good luck.

Chad

+ 1 on the spray mold release Chad, you can have the action sprayed in every nook and cranny in less time than in takes to get the wax can open. One spray can of Brownells release agent will do 50 guns or so !! ---- 7mmRHB

I've only had one bedding job that has stuck and I was using a commercial silicone mold release agent. I've used the blue stuff from Brownell's and Turtle wax.
So far the Turtle wax has been the easiest to get the action to come out of the bedding for me.

David

Ask a hundred old ladies the best way to bake a cake and you'll get a hundred different answers.

No method is wrong as long as it works. Use Pam cooking spray if you want. The only reason I mentioned anything is that the one time I used paste wax I had this funky marble cake looking image in the bedding. So, I quit using it.

This is what my bedding jobs look like so judge for yourself.

MyPalmariflebedding.jpg

beddingII.jpg

White grease is so messy. I use paste wax myself. Vaseline is an utter failure, trust me on this. It worked so badly for me that I'm now allergic to oil based release agents. I had to split a stock a couple of years ago to remove the action.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.