Which way to a .22 Creedmoor ?

Which way to a .22 Creedmoor?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What are your intentions for the rifle? The Kimber will result in a delightful walking around rifle depending on what you do for a barrel. The Tikka will give you a very smooth action, funky magazines and a 30/06 length action. I have a long action heavy stock and barrel Savage in .223 that new shooters love off of a bench. The Kimber with a light barrel 7 or 8 twist with 88gr bullet could be too much fun!

Brux, Krieger, Muller barrel on either for the win, reamer with appropriate freebore dia and length for the bullet you want to shoot.

12 twist for 60g V max and lighter bullets
10 twist for 60g Sierra TMK
8T for up to 77g TMK
7T for 88g ELDM

Proper throat length and dia for each yields great dividends in barrel life and accuracy for each, and this is one issue you should not throw your brain away on. Some Hornady bullets are running .2245 for pressure ring dia and if you have a throat that is .2245(typical), you are in trouble.

Not everyone hunts/shoots in the windy plains states, nor do they shoot over 300 yards.

Remember, heavy bullets in 7-8 twists eat up bores in a hurry, 800 rounds.

I've never handled a Kimber, so I can't comment on the action or trigger. I would imagine most aftermarket barrels will be plenty accurate though, so if you like the action, etc - go for it on the Kimber.

I do like Tikka rifles - my CTR 1:8 223 is one of my favorite rifles I own. However, Tikka barrels tend to be a little on the slow side. 1:8 twist will work well up to 88 gr ELDMs.

I've had both, as much as I liked my T3's the Montana action is a bit more to my liking.

I grabbed a used Montana 84M, called Lilja and ordered one of their "Campfire Special" contours. Basically the barrel follows the barrel channel from the factory spot on then when it leaves the barrel channel at the end of the stock it goes to .62" at the muzzle @ 23".

8 twist is the way I went, it's a freaking drill and a joy to shoot!

8 twist is the way to go. You start pushing the 77 and the 88's hard in a 7 twist. You start shedding jackets been there done that. I shoot a 22x47 with Sierra MK's on top of RL-26 , from a 26" Brux 8 twist at 3600 fps. If I ran a 7 twist they wouldn't even make it to the target. I shoot them a little faster out if a 22 Creedmoor Improved.

I've had both, as much as I liked my T3's the Montana action is a bit more to my liking.

I grabbed a used Montana 84M, called Lilja and ordered one of their "Campfire Special" contours. Basically the barrel follows the barrel channel from the factory spot on then when it leaves the barrel channel at the end of the stock it goes to .62" at the muzzle @ 23".

8 twist is the way I went, it's a freaking drill and a joy to shoot!
I have a 1:8 Lilja'd 22-250 Montana finished @ 22". I shoot 75 A-max's out of it @ 3275fps via '26.

Lilja shipped a 1:7 .224 Montana contour Thursday that's going to become a 22Creed. I'll start w/the 75's as I still have a pretty good pile of them.

Recent Posts