6.5 Creedmoor and others...

The faster twists are better for heavier bullets. I am not sure the grain weight but you should be good with a 140 grain bullet. A longer barrel will increase velocity to a point, if you have an extremely long barrel you will lose velocity because you wont have enough powder to burn in the barrel. A 24 inch barrel or a 26 inch barrel should be sufficient.

Ty, and Ty, Soldier of christ, I know some of my questions are very elementary to you guys, I really do Ty for your replies and comments.

What it boils down to is personal preference. The .260 cartridge design is not quite up to that of the Lapua or the Creedmore, pure and simple. That being said, the .260 Does get it done in the field quite well.

Three factors aligned, with a trade off, to put the .260 on top for the Demigod LLC article.
-- 1) He is using an AI platform that will pierce primers well before he reaches real max pressure. Thus the extra "boiler room" makes a real difference for him

-- 2) The initial batch of Creedmore brass was typical ( for the time ) soft Hornady brass. Newer lots of brass have been considerably stronger. The useful case capacity is pretty close between the Creedmore and the .260. Also, Lapua now makes .260 brass that is most excellent!

-- 3) He is willing to accept the temp sensitivity of RL17 powder in exchange for a nice boost in ballistics. That being said, it would be worthwhile to investigate Alliant Power Pro 2000MR in the Creedmore, and possibly in the Lapua as well for a ballistics boost with modest temp sensitivity.

At the end of the day, Pick One and smile... it *WILL* get the job done gun)

Have a good one,
Gary

Does anyone know the water capacity of all three cartridges? I thought the .260 had the most, 6.5 Creedmore second and last the 6.5x47 Lapua. I don't understand how the .260 supposedly doesn't measure up if it has more case capacity. I do get that you would have to seat heavier bullets deeper in the .260. I guess I made the commitment to the 123-130 grain bullets and short action so picked the .260. If I wanted to shoot the 140 class bullet I would have went with a long action and the 6.5x284. I agree that whatever one floats your boat, you should pick. I picked the .260 and my buddy is thinking about the Lapua. They are all so close that I'm not sure you will see any real difference in the field. Buy one and go shoot it a bunch and have fun.

Jumpalot,

You already have it figured out sir. You made the "tradeoff" for the 123 / 130gr bullets and avoided having to deep seat the heavy bullets, which would have brought you down right into the range of the slightly lesser case capacity of the Creedmore. The CM and 140gr bullets lose less case capacity to deep seating of heavy bullets, thus it and the .260 come pretty close to each other in this use case.

Pretty much pick one and smile. The lapua does have very high quality ammo you can purchase, so that may make some difference. I am not sure the .260 has anything but good old hunting ammo. If you reload then that "advantage" is nullified.

Have a good one,
Gary

Update. I bought a Savage weather warrior, 6.5 Creedmoor. I slapped my Kahles Helia CL 4-12X52 on it. I did the break in with 129 gr, and 140 gr Hornady ammunition. I was seeking a reduction in recoil and I got it, to the tune of nearly 50%. I'm delighted with the round so far. Initially it appears that the the rifle shoots 1 MOA or better, but I'm still breaking in and sighting in.

I am picking up my cooper very soon, cant wait, got a nightforce to go on it, should be a tack drivergun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.