Which three must have calibers.

Which three must have calibers based on current bullet selection, not necessarily cartridges. For medium to large game if you only had three choices. List in order from most important to least important as if you would have to narrow down to only owning the first listed.

Sorry for the edit, but say up to elk for large game.
For medium to large game? I don't really need three calibers probably only two but if I have to pick 3 I'd pick:

.264/6.5mm short action: Antilope to Whitetail

7mm or 308 Long action or magnum: Whitetail, Muley, Elk, Black bear

.338: Elk, carribou, moose, brown and grizzly bear

Personally I think a 7mm in the 280 Ackley Improved is about as close to a universal North American round as you can get with the exception of bigger bears and moose but the Europeans have been shooting moose with 6.5x55 swedes for longer than I've been alive and I would probably shoot a moose with 280 Ackley if push came to shove and I had no better option.

I already posted earlier but I'd like to redo my thinking's . In all actuality really all id need is my 22 wmr and my model 700 in 338win mag I could kill anything that walks North America and pretty well the world . The 22 mag can and will handle pretty well everything in the North American grounds at least the lower 48 . I'm not saying it's ideal for elk moose or bears but in a pinch I would not be the least bit worried about brain checking a moose or elk within 100 yards if need be . We've butchered I honestly couldn't tell you how many beef with the 22 wmr with cci solids. Bears are a little different story that's why there is bigger calibers available

Which three must have calibers based on current bullet selection, not necessarily cartridges. For medium to large game if you only had three choices. List in order from most important to least important as if you would have to narrow down to only owning the first listed.

6x45...short range
25-06...medium range
6.5 Creedmore...long range

Redleg,
What's the ballistic difference between the 30-06 AI and the 300 PRC?
Seems the increased capacity of the AI case would hold about as much powder as the 300 PRC.

Eric B.

Redleg,
What's the ballistic difference between the 30-06 AI and the 300 PRC?
Seems the increased capacity of the AI case would hold about as much powder as the 300 PRC.

Eric B.
The 300 PRC probably has 200 + FPS on the 30-06 AI. I would rather use a 30 Nosler or 300 Blaser than the 375 Ruger cased 300 PRC. Just my opinion, though.

223, 243 and 264

I already posted earlier but I'd like to redo my thinking's . In all actuality really all id need is my 22 wmr and my model 700 in 338win mag I could kill anything that walks North America and pretty well the world . The 22 mag can and will handle pretty well everything in the North American grounds at least the lower 48 . I'm not saying it's ideal for elk moose or bears but in a pinch I would not be the least bit worried about brain checking a moose or elk within 100 yards if need be . We've butchered I honestly couldn't tell you how many beef with the 22 wmr with cci solids. Bears are a little different story that's why there is bigger calibers available

Or, "if" you are a hand loader, you can down load or up load the .338 for any big game species.....if you really think that you "need" to down load. The 22 WMR or a 22 RF, could be used for all "small game" and or varmints.

For all big game, small, medium, large, and or dangerous.....it can be accomplished with one cartridge. You just have to choose the correct cartridge! So.....we're back to one cartridge for all big game hunting! :D memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.