Which three must have calibers.

223 1-8 twist 55-80 grain bullets
300 win mag 1-10 165-215 bullets
375 Ruger because I always wanted one.
But I would probably change the 375 for my 6.5x47 Lapua since I would only use the 375 for bear or dangerous game.
Thanks Jason

Well, since we're doing this... again... I'll change one of my previous answers:
.257 Roberts AI
30-06 AI
300 PRC

270 WSM
375 H&H

I use the 308 for deer and pigs, 270 WSM for sheep, and the 375 for dangerous game. For elk, might have a gap in this lineup, would go with the 270 WSM.

Last edited:
Which three must have calibers based on current bullet selection, not necessarily cartridges. For medium to large game if you only had three choices. List in order from most important to least important as if you would have to narrow down to only owning the first listed.

Sorry for the edit, but say up to elk for large game.
6.5x284
300PRC

.22 rimfire

Of course I have alot more than that but If the SHTF I would probably leave the house with the 22 and the .06 and maybe the 9mm

Which three must have calibers based on current bullet selection, not necessarily cartridges. For medium to large game if you only had three choices. List in order from most important to least important as if you would have to narrow down to only owning the first listed.

You started at medium game so:
7mm.08. Dream to shoot on any deer sized animal.
.30 wsm or 300 Weatherby Mag
.338 Or 33 Nosler
With those three (ok 5 but you get the point) you cover all of North America.
Add a .22 for plinking and a 243 for varmint to smaller than deer and you have it all covered.

25-06
30-06
338-06

All use same parent cartridge, action length same. small,med and large all bases covered. I currently have this group and if I had to pick just one it would be the 30-06.

.243, .284 and .338 all in Sherman Short magnum, cuz I like my short action receivers.

.308"
.224"
.358"

A 30-06 or one of the 300 magnums are just really useful. Deer, elk, not under gunned in most of north America with a 308 something. And not terrible ballistics either. A 223 or 22-250 for varmint, coyote, target, light gun stuff. Can still kill deer if legal in your state. A mid sized .358" like a 35 Whelen or 350 rem mag or norma mag for the times you are specifically going after elk or bears. Not as many projectile options as the 338s but what exists is good and I think a solid step up from the 308s.

I have been watching and is a lot a fun, my thinking is start with shotgun, got to have a 22 rimfire, then start with the others , this is a tuff one . I think a lot of deer has fell to 22 long rifle ,maybe not legally. i have not been a part of it , yet. I like this ,this gonna be on going with this , thanks buck
My uncle a dairy farmer fed a lot of deer and used a 22 LR. He always had venison.

22, 284, 308
ie 22 Lr, 222, 223, 22-250;
7mm Rem, 7mm Weatherby
30-30, 30-06, 300 WM, 300 Weatherby
My absolute go to is the 7mm Weatherby

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.