Which three must have calibers.

.223 rem for plinking and teaching kids
260 rem for competition, target out to a mile and medium to large game
7mm-300 Norma for everything else on the planet I might ever need it for, and elr shooting.

22LR or 22Mag,
243-308
243 because can use 308 brass vs versa also in 7-08, 260,338 fed. quite versatile.
could also do 264mag,7mag-300 mag same brass
25-06,280,30-06

Last edited:
243 or 6mm Rem, Currently I have both.
270 Win
One of the 300 mags (with a muzzle brake). Currently I have a 300 Wby & 300 RUM.

if only one, a 30-06.

Which three must have calibers based on current bullet selection, not necessarily cartridges. For medium to large game if you only had three choices. List in order from most important to least important as if you would have to narrow down to only owning the first listed.

Sorry for the edit, but say up to elk for large game.
Which three must have calibers based on current bullet selection, not necessarily cartridges. For medium to large game if you only had three choices. List in order from most important to least important as if you would have to narrow down to only owning the first listed.

Sorry for the edit, but say up to elk for large ga

-7mag
-30-06
-280 akimp

Here goes for mine,
284 / 7mm 160-180gr bullets
30 cal 215-230gr bullets
264 / 6.5mm 120-150gr bullets

Would cover all that I normally do or intend to do in the future and work for carrying along youth & ladies on a hunt.
Just (3)
25-06,270(1)
270wsm,280,280ai(2)
300wsm,300wm
And just be sad
I live in Newfoundland Canada where we get moose and bears tags on a regular basis if you want to hunt different areas...the only rifle I ever use and would ever use is the 270 win and 270 wsm...I have harvested a fair share of animals and this calibre has never failed me yet, so you guys can fool around with all your different calibres, but in my opinion it never failed me and I have shot em out to 800 yes, no problem

Last edited by a moderator:
6MM Creedmoor 7:1 Twist 26" Carbon Fiber 110SMK,
6.5MM Creedmoor 7.5:1 Twist 28" Carbon Fiber 140 Elite,
300 PRC 9:1 Twist 32" Carbon Fiber 225 ELDM

The order of these really depends, but I know I can take any large game with a .338 in one cartridge or another, using one of two cartridges, at pretty much any distance, and I can also take smaller game with it, so it is number one. I could also flip the bottom two around and not lose any sleep, but my gut tells me that I'd rather have the 6.5 as number one, rather than the 7mm, if I had to choose a different number one from this list.

6.5 mm
7 mm

308 ! readily available anywhere including Can and Mex !

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.