Which scope? Steiner, Swarovski, Night Force

brandon327

Which scope has better clarity on high Power about 25? I am looking at a steiner t5xi, a swarovski X5I and a Night Force NXS. Which has better light gathering ability?

I have not looked through the X51, but in my opinion, the M5Xi's glass clarity was superior to the Nightforce.

Sorry, I noticed that you said the "Tactical" T5Xi? The one I referenced about was the "M" series. From what I understand about the Steiner lines it is the same glass, just different glass coatings.

I love the NXS's but they do not have NF's best glass, which is the ED glass they put in the ATACR's, Competitions and BEAST. I would equate that ED glass with the other two, or awfully close. Where the NXS excels is in their tracking, durability and reticles. Of course, you pay for the durability in weight. If you're going to climb a mountain with it I would pick something lighter, and try not to ride any rockslides down. But then, I've ridden more than a few and was trying not to on every one of them.

I got a Kahles k25i in December. I compared it to all of the scopes that you are, and more. I felt it was the best. I like it better than all of my NF. I eveb compared it to SB and Tangent Theta. The dealer that sold it to me made me a better deal than I could imagine. Right now, I'm saving for another one.

If you get the chance to look through a Tract 30mm with the Schott glass, I think you will surprised. 1/2 the money and glass just as good. No middleman save a pile of money !!!!!!!!!!!!

I have an X5 and it's the best scope that I ever looked through.

I had an ATACR which I traded towards the X5

I was deciding between the Zeiss V6, Nightforce ATACR and the Swarovski X5i. After checking out all 3 mounted on rifles the X5i was the clear winner for me. The eye relief was way better on the X5i than the Nightforce, so much so that after trying to find the crosshairs on the Nightforce then grabbing the rifle with the X5i and having the crosshairs instantly centered as soon as I raised the scope, I never even gave the Nightforce a second look. The ATACR is a great scope but I think the X5i is a step above imo.

NXS glass is not the best. Top tier Swarovski is great glass. That being said, the confidence I have in my nxs would never get me to trade for either. For clarity and all the other criteria you listed, I'd go Swarovski.

NXS glass is not the best. Top tier Swarovski is great glass. That being said, the confidence I have in my nxs would never get me to trade for either. For clarity and all the other criteria you listed, I'd go Swarovski.

Not being sarcastic here but regarding what you just said in the above, why not just go with Swarovski in the first place?? You already said that the glass is better. If you look at the X5 you will find a beefy scope, excellent turret adjustments made of stainless steel, etc.

MAYBE the NSX is more rugged?? Does it matter for us hunters/shooters? We arent falling off a cliff like Marcus Luttrel like in Lone Survivor, and if we do, the hunt is over anyway and the scope is the least of your worries sitting in the ER;)

I think that allot of NF guys get caught up in the hype of it all and want to be "Tactical." LOL

There are a myriad of reasons I went NF. Number one being I wanted one for about 15 years before buying it. The guys I was around were making "outrageous" claims of shots and groups and everything I wanted to do. It turned out to be not so outrageous. They had military experience in the LR game. I saw their equipment and the seed was planted. At the time, I was living about an hour from their place in Orofino, Idaho and have deep roots in the state. When I talked to guys actually doing the LRH game, the scope was a constant thing that came up. When the time came and my skills improved to the point I could start utilizing that kind of equipment, it was 1st on the list, then I did the "beat my head against the wall" exercise of going through every option out there. After years of this, I found my wife at a weak point and the NXS I wanted in stock at a store we were in. Other scopes were higher on my list at the time, but we bought that one and never looked back. We (hunters)tend to get stuff all mixed up in our heads and online and spend too much time getting THE ONLY thing that checks ALL the boxes, looks shiny and new and perfect, instead of proven stuff that works. Most of us won't know the difference in the minutiae of our equipment. I've kinda gone to the philosophy of making it easy. You can be very effective in this game with gear you know and nothing replaces confidence. That's why I went NF.

There are a myriad of reasons I went NF. Number one being I wanted one for about 15 years before buying it. The guys I was around were making "outrageous" claims of shots and groups and everything I wanted to do. It turned out to be not so outrageous. They had military experience in the LR game. I saw their equipment and the seed was planted. At the time, I was living about an hour from their place in Orofino, Idaho and have deep roots in the state. When I talked to guys actually doing the LRH game, the scope was a constant thing that came up. When the time came and my skills improved to the point I could start utilizing that kind of equipment, it was 1st on the list, then I did the "beat my head against the wall" exercise of going through every option out there. After years of this, I found my wife at a weak point and the NXS I wanted in stock at a store we were in. Other scopes were higher on my list at the time, but we bought that one and never looked back. We (hunters)tend to get stuff all mixed up in our heads and online and spend too much time getting THE ONLY thing that checks ALL the boxes, looks shiny and new and perfect, instead of proven stuff that works. Most of us won't know the difference in the minutiae of our equipment. I've kinda gone to the philosophy of making it easy. You can be very effective in this game with gear you know and nothing replaces confidence. That's why I went NF.

You know what JJ, that's a great answer and it's also the best and most honest reason for choosing a NF Scope: Because you wanted one!!

Enjoy it brother;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.