Which scope for an AR-15 to be used on a PD hunt?

DocGlenn

I've got a Colt Accurized AR-15 that really shoots well. I'm planning on shooting in a PD shoot in August and need a new scope for this rifle. I was thinking about the zeiss conquest 6.5 X 20 w/ mil dot:

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/5214549943/new_zeis...uest_rifle_scope.htm

Or the Leupold 6.5 X 20 VX-III with Varmint Hunter Reticle:

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/LEU57180/leupold_6...._30mm_riflescope.htm

Any clear winner here, or is there another scope I should be looking at? Thanks for the help.

I have the 8.5-25 leupold varmint reticle on my 22-250 and love it.
The reticle is great. Im getting a 4.5-14 leupold varmint reticle for an AR I have ordered to use for coyote and pdogs.

As long as your load is close to the ones in the manual, the drop and wind lines/marks are REAL close if not dead on.

DG,I have a Rock River AR15 varminter.Recently i put a 4.5x14 Burris with the ballistic plex reticle.Really a good scope.The ballistic lines were dead on.If you rangefind PD at say 430yds,put the 4th line on him and click up whatever it takes to get the extra 30yds.Really works good with a little experimenting.I have shot fairly consistent 1 inch groups at 300yds.I have another one on a 17hmr.You can get them on ebay for around 250-300$ brand new.
LJ

Thanks for the input guys. For better or worse, I've got a Zeiss conquest 6x20 w/ mil dot on the way. If it doesn't work out, I'll look to the varmit reticle. I hope it'll do the job for me. Thanks again.

Good choice, I was smacking them out at 750 yds with my varminter and a leupold 4.5-14 tactical.

I changed my mind and went with the 8.5-25 leupy varmint. I want to see them little buggers pop.

Not trying to hijack the post but,
While we are talking about AR's, where do you guys position the scope:
1. for eye relief?
2. scope hight?
After doing some measuring, the rear of my scope will line up with the rear of the upper when mounted as far forward as posible. Eye relief is 3.5-5" on this scope. This puts my cheek a ways back on the stock.

In your opinion will this be an acceptable shooting position? I dont have the rifle here yet to try this .

Scope height,
How high off the stock do you prefer the center of your scope?

Im trying to get all the bits together so when the gun arrives I can start testing loads.
If you have pics of your setup I would love to see how you mounted the scope and what parts you used.

Thanks

I set all my scopes up so I am perfectly comfortable in a good shooting position. I used the armalite QD scope base and installed a VLTOR stock for a better cheek weld. Works great! The QD base returns to 1/2 moa every time. If your setup is comfortable to you in your "natural" shooting position you can close your eyes, pull the rig up into position and when you open your eyes you should have to move very little to see thru the glass. If you have to strain your neck to keep the scope clear you will be hard pressed to keep a good cheek weld and group well.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.