Which Savage .223?

ergceo

I am looking for my first Savage rifle after much research. This will be a coyote and plinking rifle for the farm. I have decided on .223 as I have much ammo already put back and it's cheap and readily available. I know I want the accutrigger, accustock and detachable box magazine.

My question is, do I want the model 11 FCNS, the model 10 precision carbine or the model 10 predator hunter?

The model 11 would be lighter and less expensive, but the model 10's have the medium contour barrel which should be more rigid but heavier in the field. And if I opted for the model 10, which to get?

Any experiences and/or thoughts appreciated.

Signed,

New coyote hunter in Missouri

You will also have to think about what twist you want in your barrel, will depend on what you are going to use in the rifle and in the future.

I believe all three models are 1 in 9 twists. I plan on shooting 55gr bullets. Will this suffice?

I've almost convinced myself to get the Model 10 Precision Carbine.

Anyone?

Thx.

Looking for a walk around .223 varmint rifle to shoot 55g bullets, unless you are hard over on getting a Savage, I'd suggest you look hard at the CZ527 M1 American or the camo version of the same rifle.

I have one, several friends have them, and they are a true joy as a walk around varmint rifle. I shot 33 ground hogs with mine last summer, 15 so far this summer. It's a micro Mauser action, really accurate, shoots 40g and 55g bullets into tiny little groups, has a detachable magazine and a single set trigger that is a total joy.

CZ-USA -> CZ 527 M1 American

Fitch

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.