Which Savage?

Tjurgensen

I have been looking for a new deer rifle and have narrowed my caliber to the 270 WSM but I cant decide on the gun. I'm looking at a Savage 11/111 FCNS and the Savage 16/116 FCSS. If your not familiar with the guns here are the links to each. Any experience, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop

Looks like your only real difference here is stainless or blued. Either will make you a very decent deer rifle. I've shot a savage 270wsm a little that I bought for my dad. It is a fun rifle and works very well on deer. Don't think you can go wrong with either one here. What ranges do you intend to shoot with it?

300 yards would be a rarity but a possibility and probably the farthest i would shoot. The most common range would be in the neighborhood of 150 to 250 yards.

Get the Savage that says "Remington Model 700" on the side of it. Those are the best ones ever made. :D

In all seriosness, Savages aren't bad rifles, I just don't like them. I prefer to stick with the Rem 700. Everyone has their own preference.

I'd check into a 7mm-08, 7mm WSM, .308 Win, 6.5-284 Norma... Hell, even a .257 Roberts would be a good deer rifle.

Get the Savage that says "Remington Model 700" on the side of it. Those are the best ones ever made. :D

In all seriosness, Savages aren't bad rifles, I just don't like them. I prefer to stick with the Rem 700. Everyone has their own preference.

If my Remingtons shot like my Savages I would not have had to buy a lathe and a bunch of parts to fix them :D

If my Remingtons shot like my Savages I would not have had to buy a lathe and a bunch of parts to fix them :D
See, I've had the opposite experience....Every Rem 700 I've ever owned shot tight cloverleaf groups, and all the Savages I've shot (other people's) were shooting 1-2 MOA groups @ 100 yards, with the exception of my buddy's Savage .17 HMR, it was shooting nice tight groups at 100 yards. And I've shot friends' Rem rifles that wouldn't shoot a 4 MOA group @ 100....Granted it was a Model 710 (which ain't no 700), but still I've shot bad Remington's as well.

So, please everybody don't think I just like to bash Savage and Praise Remington. I've had both good and bad experiences with both. I make my decisions discerningly, and use proper logic to weigh my opinions. And in the end, I have always had good luck with the Rem 700 rifles I've bought, and bad luck with majority of the Savages I've shot at the ranges and at people's houses and stuff. So for me my opinion weighs the way things have worked out for me.

I think it's all just in how the dice was rolled. I think everyone either has a good or bad experience with a brand, and the few lucky ones have had both, so they were able to realize which one they preferred.

For hunting, go stainless. I like blue, wood rifles. But for a true hunter, I stick with SS and non wood stock.

Go stainless...I have the 116 and love it. Also don't be fooled the 270WSM is or can be used on elk. I bought a 300WM of a guy that was replacing it with the 270WSM. He loved the gun and it dropped his elk with no problem. I think he had said the shot was about 450yrds high shoulder. The 270 or the 7mm WSM is the only WSM to have in my opinon...well a 6.5wsm would also be great but that's a wildcat. My 116 is a 6.5x284 and it always shot around .75 with factory bullets and with my loads .5 all the time. I have a friend that getting a 300wsm and we will se how well it can shoot some 165's. But bottom line go stainless for any hunting rifle. Now days the rifles out there that are blued or not a very polished finish and it just seem to attract rust in my opinon. Well that my 2 cents.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts