Which rifles easy to rebarrel

Been doin a lot of surfing this evening and came across this.

Savage 19126 10FP-SR Law Enforcement Series 223

Does anyone know anything about this rifle. Sounds like what I am looking for as long as it shoots. Or at least looking into. Can't find it on the Savage site though.

It's an excellent shooter. A couple of guys at my club have them.. I have a Savage Long Range Precision, Pedator, and the Long Range Hunter, all three, .25MOA rifles.

Thumbs, that 10FP is a realgood choice and will be a great platform to build off of..gun)
Thanks.. Just so we are on the same page. This is a heavy barrel rifle with three sling points. Two in the forearm and one in the stock. I saw this at Dicks and apparently these is a Dick's exclusive. Looks exactly like the old law enforcement model without the threaded barrel. It comes with a Nikon 3 or 4 to 9 AO Prostaff scope. I think it was a model 11 MV. Can't find it on the Savage site. They department manager at Dick's said it was a Dick's exclusive. They had it in both .223 and 22 250. Seemed like a great price though.

I am concerned that it may be to heavy. I do want to be able to shoot a bunch of rounds without the barrel heating and the poi walking but on the other hand I want to be able to walk with it. Didn't seem to heavy in the story but maybe you guys know better in the long run. They don't make a semi bull barrel which would be nice it goes from the heavy bull to the standard.. If the standard will handle pd shooting without the poi walking that would work.

I think I saw the weight of the rifle was 8.25lbs without the scope. I didn't find it that bad at the story but it maybe a lot heavier in the field. LOL I think it' about a pound heavier than the 11/111 trophy hunter xp.

Is anyone using one of the Law enforcement models for varminting?

Watcha think??

Last edited:
Jim at Northland has plenty of barrel choices. The Criterion barrels for Savage have a very good reputation. Do a Google.

Keep in mind some of us think it best to start with the task, then the bullet, barrel twist then follows. I have even called Sierra more than once and talked task, bullet, twist.

http://northlandshooterssupply.com

Jim at Northland has plenty of barrel choices. The Criterion barrels for Savage have a very good reputation. Do a Google.

Keep in mind some of us think it best to start with the task, then the bullet, barrel twist then follows. I have even called Sierra more than once and talked task, bullet, twist.

http://northlandshooterssupply.com

I would like to be as versatile as possible. Mostly pd's and groundhogs. I wodike a twist that will handle a wide range of bullet weights. I would like an all purpose rifle.

We all seek the single rifle that can do a lot. For me the 223 fit that mission. When you get a 223 out in the field it is no slouch.

In southern NJ the 243 is a favorite for what you want to do. But with a slower twist to shoot the lighter bullet. Barrel life is expected to be 2000 rounds. From what I have felt recoil is minimal. I see Northland does not sell a slow twist 243/6mm barrel.

Everything is a tradeoff but in the end I don't think you can go wrong going down the paths you are on.

Please call the folks at Sierra and have a talk. They have helped me a lot thru the years.

Just like to say, I like Dick's and they can have some real good deals. I have not yet bought a rifle from them but I know many that have.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.