which rifle? Savage OR Remington.

Still working on it. I found RL15 to be the most accurate at my current OAL. They measure 2.375 with 37.0grns of powder. They are running right around 3700fps. Do you find with the 52grn Speer HP they like to jump to the lands or sit on them? This combination gave me about .5 or less group at 100yrds. I didn't measure it. I was little disappointed with the other powders I used. 4064 was my fastest pushing 3850. I am going to used the RL15 again and see if I can find an accuracy node w/ smaller groupings. I'll have to repost later when I get some better results. Thanks for thinking about me though!:D

I think I might be fighting a lost battle. The rifle I am shooting is a MK77 w/ bbl. Not sure how many rounds went through it before I got a hold of it. I know my family maybe put 200rnds through it over the years. We never took that rifle serious. I have a new respect for the 250's, but I think who ever owned it before me, may have shot the barrel out.

Tank

The jump in the 220 swift matters, but I have no way to measure the throat it is so long; but the 22-250 prefers a 0.010 - 0.020" jump, but that is with all bullets so... My 250 seems to prefer slightly slower velocities around 3450 - 3500 fps, although it will shoot about 0.4"s @ 3600 fps.

200 rnds shouldn't affect anything tho. The 223 WSSM affects the barrel after about 400 rnds. I already have 146 rnds thru my 250 with no accuracy degredation. Did you clean the p**s out of it, maybe copper fouling is built up.

Last edited:
I'll have to run the solvent through it again. I'm just wondering if there may be some throat erosion. Anyway, thanks for the data. I might stick w/ finding an accuracy node and then start playing with OAL. See if I can find a tighter grouping at the current length.

Correction to 4064 being my fastest. It was varget. Thanks for the info Bow!

Tank

liltank,

Check out the review on my site of the 220 swift, there is an interesting comparison of loads with col the only variance at the bottom of the page. I know the 220 has been shot out, the bullet would be about a 1/16 -1/8" out of the neck of the case before it would touch the rifling (the throat is so long, but this is from hundreds of rounds of very (read max) high velocity rounds thru it, it was made in the late 40's).

Winchester pre-'64 model 70 hunter grade

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts