Which rifle was born first?

JOSE A. MARINE

I have seen a couple of anschutz rifles in 243 win and even a 3006 and they seem awfull familiar to the savages, the anshutz even wear the model number 10 for their short actions.

were the savages copies of the anschutz? or the other way around...?

the egg or the chicken?

Joe

Sile Distributors located in NY acted as an import agent during the early 1960s which can be identified by Sile barrel markings. Anschutz rifles imported by Savage were available from 1963-1981 and also have Savage/Anschutz barrel markings. During the period when Savage was importing Anschütz rifles, certain models in the Anschütz line were designated either "Savage-Anschutz" or "Anschutz-Savage" for sales by Savage in the U.S. Conversely, certain models manufactured by Savage were designated "Anschutz-Savage" for sale by Anschutz in Europe. Some of these models did not have any modifications but others were restocked, supplied with different sights, and had other different features from their original counterparts. In most cases, the original model numbers were used. Some "Anschutz-Savage" rifles have made their way into the U.S. While somewhat rare, these rifles are typically based on the Savage Model 110 action. They are not as desirable as those "Savage-Anschutz" marked rifles utilizing the superior Anschutz actions.

ADDED:

Anschutz also manufactured between 1,000-2,000 rifles utilizing SAKO actions in .222 Rem. cal. in the late 1950s-early 1960s.

Last edited:
Savage imported Anschutz rifle a little over thirty years ago. I also seem to remember Savage putting the Anschutz name on rifles they exported. Think they were all "J" series, but could also be wrong about that. To the best of my knowledge the only Anschutz rifles imported were 22 rimfires.
gary

I do undestand the comercial arrangements between the savage and anschutz companies, but the rifles I´m talking about are anschutz rifles without the savage marking but almost identical to savages 110 or 10 model designations.

the only real difference is that the trigger on the savages(110 or 10) releases from the side of the bolt and the anchutz I´m talking about release from below the bolt.

was it an anschutz design or a savage design made by anschutz??

who came first with the design?

by the way these anschutz are 1/3 moa rifles in the 243 win I have tested, without heavy barrels...and double triggers...

its nice to see bergara barrels come with the idea of offering remington replacement barrels with the barrel nut, it sure is easy for some shadetree mechanics...

Joe

I do undestand the comercial arrangements between the savage and anschutz companies, but the rifles I´m talking about are anschutz rifles without the savage marking but almost identical to savages 110 or 10 model designations.

the only real difference is that the trigger on the savages(110 or 10) releases from the side of the bolt and the anchutz I´m talking about release from below the bolt.

by the way these anschutz are 1/3 moa rifles in the 243 win I have tested, without heavy barrels...and double triggers...

its nice to see bergara barrels come with the idea of offering remington replacement barrels with the barrel nut, it sure is easy for some shadetree mechanics...

Joe

Pacnor has been doing Remington barrels with a nut for at least ten years now. They charge extra for the nut
gary

Joe

Perhaps the DOM of the rifle in question might provide an answer to your question. As already been established, Anschutz rifles imported by Savage were available from 1963-1981. During this business venture time frame, Anschutz explored non .22LR calibers, i.e., MODEL 1574 SPORTER.

The 1574 action was manufactured in .22 Mag., .222 Rem., .22-250 Rem., .223 Rem., .243 Win., or .308 Win. cal. Mfg. by Krico (Kriegeskorte) located at Stuttgart and distributed by Anschütz, approx. 1,000 imported during 1970-73.

Just a thought - trying to fish for some possibilities :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.