A LR hunter is born.

wadevb1

I finally had the opportunity to stretch my legs and test my Gre-Tan built 300WM topped with a NF 5.5x22x50 with the NP1RR. I don't have much access to any ranges with distance but managed to find a farm where I could pop some rounds off at 550 yards. I should mention that prior to this, the longest range I have access to is 220 yards. This was my first LR attempt.

My NF Exbal program was critical in getting me close and without a chrony I had to guess my M.V. I fired twice and failed to see hits on the target. A quick quad ride confirmed I was approx ten inches low and five inches right (5 MPH) wind. I was pleased to see my two impacts on the board was under three inches...actually, I was pumped. I returned to the rifle and dialed a scope for the first time. 2 MOA up and 1 MOA for wind.

The following pic is my next three rounds. I was like a kid on xmas morning when I seen my hits connecting. I'm not quite confident to attempt game yet but this was definately a confidence builder. I should also add this was the first load I tried through the rifle: 72 grains RL22 under a 180 TTSX in a virgin Lapua case. She shoots three rounds at 100 in the .3's but spreads out to 2-2.5 inches at 220 yards. I was worried how she would shoot at 550 after my 220 groups but this bullet must stabilize (go to sleep?) and does well at 550.

Here is a pic, a little blurry.

550%20yard.bmp.jpg

Last edited:
Oh you're hooked now. Good equipment, dialing for the conditions, good groups for a first time. Yup, you're hooked.

Congratulations on some good shooting.;)

Boy thats some good shooting for jus starting to streach your legs there wade. Looks like your going to have some fun in the days ahead.

wadebv1, I've probably asked you this before but what part of West Michigan are you closest to?

Anywhere in MI is tough to find long range opportunity.

good shooting.

This LR thing will only get better after I invest in a chrony and a Kestrel and get use to cranking on the scope.

I just returned from my eight day Canada hunt where I shot the groups posted. As have it, the WT I took was within 250 yards. I probably wouldn't have shot any further until I get more distance shooting under my belt. I did have excellent results with the 180TTSX and recovered two which I'll get posted soon.

MagMan,

I'm located in the Holland area and will be joining a range next January not too far from my home. Not a 1k but good for starters, they have a 500M range.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.