Which Premium Barrel?

rufous

I am about to rebarrel my 30 cal big game rifle (probably chamber it to 300 Win Mag). Any consensus on which barrel to use? My general understanding of the topic is that between Hart, Lilja, Shilen, Krieger and Pac-Nor they are all very good. I would appreciate your input. It will also probably be a 1:10 twist #4 or #5 contour finished at 26". Rufous.

You may want to look at Lothar Walther SS barrels.
I use them almost exclusively and love them.
follow the link and see the target gallery for targets from Walther barreled rifles and factory ammo.
CeltH.D. Rifles

Rufous

Of the barrels you list, I have used all but the Lilja. All are excellent and all are used to some extent in long range competition. All have had some time in the winners circle at major events. The Pacnor is excellent value for money and perhaps the least used in competition. A friend of mine who is one of the best shooters in the country and has a bore scope has told me that Hart barrels are the consistently best finished of any barrels he has seen. This is based on an average of barrels viewed, not a one-off situation.

Overall, it really comes down to a personal choice, as I don't believe there is a lot else to choose. Its probably a little trite, but I don't believe you can go wrong with a select match barrel from any of the companies.

Fergus

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.