Which powders to try for Berger VLD

Bigeclipse

Hey guys,
I finished building my savage semi-custom 7mm rem mag yesterday. This will be a hunting rifle I will use to hunt all yardages from 0-600 on deer. I have heard that although the bergers are meant for long distances, they will be fine at short ones too...albeit sometimes explosive.

Anyways, I have a 1:9 twist barrel at 24 inches long and was suggested that the 168 grain 7mm bergers would be a good fit. I am now looking for some powder recommendations with charge limits. I will buy a berger book if I must, (but I already own several books and would really love if I could save some money by getting some info from you guys). So any book values would be great along with any loads that have worked well for you. I currently have IMR4064, H4350, and RL22 powders. It can be hard to find powder where I am but not impossible. Thanks guys.

i have 2 loads i really really like
.5 and 1/2 minute out past 300 to 600
69.1 grains h1000
60 grains r22 ( light perhaps but very very accurate)

i have 2 loads i really really like
.5 and 1/2 minute out past 300 to 600
69.1 grains h1000
60 grains r22 ( light perhaps but very very accurate)

do you mind posting loading data for Min/max charge weights with those powders and 168 bergers if you have it?

i do not
i started originally with an 8 pounder and 60 grains h1000
60 62 64 66 68 70 72
then .5 across
then point 2
the final
bear in mind as i got more technically precise i de selected the worst performers
lots of shooting and target changing( i loved it)
but finally settled on 69.1 earn i thought i only had 1 hit on the target and upon spotting scoping it looked funny and walked out there with a mic measured .323 one hole
that is my killing load and it works on 3 continents and about 10 states from zero in ny where i live to 6700 ft in utah

I have found the best luck with my 7mm RM and Berger 168 VLD's using IMR 7828 SSC with a Federal 215M primer in Nosler brass.

I use 65.5 grains, but that is a very hot load. I would work up to it starting around 60-62 grains, and slowly work my way to find max load with pressure signs.

Out of my 26" 1:9.5" twist barrel, it is pushing them 3,115 fps.

I have found the best luck with my 7mm RM and Berger 168 VLD's using IMR 7828 SSC with a Federal 215M primer in Nosler brass.

I use 65.5 grains, but that is a very hot load. I would work up to it starting around 60-62 grains, and slowly work my way to find max load with pressure signs.

Out of my 26" 1:9.5" twist barrel, it is pushing them 3,115 fps.

I called around just now and found only regular IMR 7828. I know the difference between SSC and regular is size...are these compressed loads? Should I give it a try or use something else until I can find the SSC version

I called around just now and found only regular IMR 7828. I know the difference between SSC and regular is size...are these compressed loads? Should I give it a try or use something else until I can find the SSC version
No, you should be just fine with regular. But I'd still start low and work up just incase it has a different burn-rate being that it's a different lot # than my powder is.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.