Which one?

whhood

I'm looking for a new shotgun. My only experience so far is with a couple of 870 I've had for years. I'm looking for an "all around" auto loader. I know everything is a compromise and asking this gun to do everything will be no different. Is there anything that you guys can recommend that will be somewhat equally good for doves, pheasant, ducks, and clays. I know very little about shotguns but I do know that each of those disciplines typically has a gun tailored for it specifically. I'm thinking 12 gauge and up to $2000. So far I'm reading about the difference between gas and inertia and I'm not sure if I have a preference. 3" or 3.5"? One of my 870s can shoot 3.5s but I never have and don't know that I ever will. Is it a problem to buy a 3.5" gun and always run 2.75-3" shells? What barrel length should I be looking at for a "jack of all trades" type? Thanks.

I've been shouldering different guns and so far the best feeling seem to be the Super Black Eagle 3 and the Maxus 2 Wicked Wing. I've found both in 3.5" for the same price. Should I look for a 3" gun or is a 3.5" fine to always run 2-3/4" and 3" out of?

I run a Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus for virtually everything and have been happy with it. The 3.5" shells are really meant for shooting heavy loads at large waterfowl/geese at distance. If you want an all around gun that can cover everything you listed I would just opt for the 3.5". If you don't ever use it, its not going to hurt the gun, but it gives you that option both as a hunting tool and in ammo selection. Something with a shorter 26" barrel is also a good choice if you will be hunting both upland game and waterfowl. As far as gas vs inertia, I run gas and have not had any issues. Anecdotally I have heard of more issues with the inertia system but that is only under extreme salt water conditions. Beretta and Benelli are sort of the front runners in this market, but Beretta owns Benelli and makes barrels and such for them so both are quality products.

Well you can go down this rabbit hole ask that question and get a pile of different answers. I have been hunting with a shotgun since I was a child. I also have been shooting pigeons, skeet, trap and sporting clays for 40 plus years. I have owned and or shot pretty much everything. My kid shot in 4H and then in college on a shotgun scholarship. So with all that I feel qualified to answer the question.

1. Forget the 3.5in chamber, unless you are an avid goose hunter there is absolutely no need for it. They are expensive as hell and they kick the **** outa ya!. Also if you plan to shoot normal 2 3/4 " game loads most of the time sometimes the "do all" chambers don't cycle the light stuff very well.
2. 28in to 30in would be my barrel preference on an auto. I would not buy a light "upland " model with a 25"or 26in barrel.
3. All autos are not created equal. You tend to get what you pay for, now you will get all kind of arguments as to the merits of a $400.00 auto. Don't believe it. Over time all shotguns break, the better ones just don't break as often. Also if you buy a name brand, chances are there is a gun shop close by who can fix it.

4. Gas vs inertia. Flip a coin as far as I'm concerned. The gas guns shoot a little softer , the inertia guns shoot a lot cleaner. ( don't have to clean them as often).

My current stable of auto shotguns include Beretta 391's in 12 and 20. Beretta A400 in 12 gauge and 20 gauge.
Benelli SBE in 12 and 20.
Super X2 in 12
Stoeger 12 gauge..

I just finished shooting the NSCA nationals . The vast majority of shooters who competed with an auto shot a Beretta. I shoot my Berettas when I shoot clays. I shoot my Benellis for the most part when I'm hunting .

Sooo if I had to pick one or the other I'm not sure I could! lol . Just make sure whichever brand you buy comes with a shim adjustment system so you can make the gun fit you. Also if you are able to shoot a few different ones then you will be ahead of the curve for sure.
Good luck!

I run a Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus for virtually everything and have been happy with it. The 3.5" shells are really meant for shooting heavy loads at large waterfowl/geese at distance. If you want an all around gun that can cover everything you listed I would just opt for the 3.5". If you don't ever use it, its not going to hurt the gun, but it gives you that option both as a hunting tool and in ammo selection. Something with a shorter 26" barrel is also a good choice if you will be hunting both upland game and waterfowl. As far as gas vs inertia, I run gas and have not had any issues. Anecdotally I have heard of more issues with the inertia system but that is only under extreme salt water conditions. Beretta and Benelli are sort of the front runners in this market, but Beretta owns Benelli and makes barrels and such for them so both are quality products.
This^^^
I have 2 Benneli's since they were around $900 way back when. First was the M2, works great until the temp gets around freezing, cycling slows way down and bolt fails to lock at times. So up graded the springs and clean after every hunt and run with lite lube. My Montafeltro works flawlessly, no matter the conditions and no spring upgrade🤷‍♂️ 26" barrels also. Hope by now the M2's have these issues taken care of. I'm looking at the A400 as well.

Agree with all the above. I've got over 30 years of shotgunning with waterfowl, trap, grouse, and pheasants being the main targets. If you want an auto to do it all I'd go with a 12 ga. A 20 is very nice to shoot and will get it done but ducks require heavy loads in many cases unless you're just gonna knock 'em down over decoys inside 30 yds.

I've shot a beretta A303 12ga 3" for 30 years and it's a simple and reliable gas system that cycles anything you run through it. I've had a benelli 20 ga montefeltro for about 5 years that is equally simple and reliable. Compared to some other autos the Italians seem the most refined and trouble free.

The most important aspect of a shotgun is how well it fits you and its balance. Shim kits will let you make the gun you like most fit you. I wouldn't go shorter than 28" on the barrels as a light front end tends to not swing as smooth when tracking targets. I'm sure there are arguments against that and maybe ways to add stock weight to offset it. You don't see sporting clays shooters running 26" barrels for a reason.

Pay attention to whether the gun you look at is a 50/50 or 60/40 point of impact. The latter will have more pattern hit above the rib and many like that for their sight picture and of course, rising birds.

3.5"? No thanks. They beat the hell out of you even in an auto.

There are few if any 3 1/2" loads that will out pattern a balanced 3" load, plus the 3" is cheaper and easier on the shoulder.

Franchi Affinity 3, made right along side the Benelli in Italy. Patterns better and easier to clean because everything comes out the front of the action. There is nothing in the buttstock except for the drop and cast bolt, so it only has to be removed once to fit the shotgun to you.

There are few if any 3 1/2" loads that will out pattern a balanced 3" load, plus the 3" is cheaper and easier on the shoulder.

Franchi Affinity 3, made right along side the Benelli in Italy. Patterns better and easier to clean because everything comes out the front of the action. There is nothing in the buttstock except for the drop and cast bolt, so it only has to be removed once to fit the shotgun to you.
Aw dang, now I gotta check that one out!

I have an 870 I shoot ducks with and with the price tag I can paddle a boat with and beat a water moccasin to death with if need be and not worry about messing up a $2000 gun. I also have a Beretta A400 I use to shoot doves with. If you don't mind the $2000 the Beretta is the way to go.