16 gauge- any one make them?

Alfred Crouch

I think the 16 gauge is the best gauge gun ever manufactured. I wandered if anyone made an over and under in a 16. A good side by side would work also but I would prefer a stacked barrell. Anyone have any ideas where I may be able to find a decent used one?

Charles Daly used to make an over/under in 16 gauge but they've gone out of business however you may find one for sale on the internet. Also Merkel series 2000 but very pricey along with Purdey. Also Remington made the Spartan and Stoeger made the Condor.

Chas, Thanks for the info. I grew up in SC. Dove hunting was very popular in the 50's and early 60's when I was a kid. The majority of the hunters used 16 gauge guns. We shot many cases of shells each year at the gray speedsters.
I had an unmarried uncle who rotated shifts on the local police force. There was a group of farmers who all fixed dove fields. They would rotate from one field to the next during the season. It wasn't unusual for my uncle to shoot every other day during the season. We had a friend who operated a hardware store. He would get shell orders from each hunter prior to the season and place one big order at his cost of course. You ordered by the half case ... either 1/2, 1, 1 1/2 or 2 cases of shells. I started with a 12 gauge single barrell with a 30" full choke. I could get my part of the doves with it. It was light and it kicked mightly but it would kill them on out a ways. I then got my uncles worn out 16 gauge savage semi auto and used it several seasons before going to a Rem model 11 in 16 gauge. I use a 12 gauge Beretta semi auto now but I really miss the 16 gauges. They were perfect guns for doves, quail and rabbits. I even used them very effectively some on ducks.

I think you"ll be to find a 16 gauge and would probably start by going to Remington or Stoeger's website.

in today's market Browning citori very nice I have a Lightning model nice handling shotgun CZ makes a SXS not sure about the O/U

Check out Bill Hanus Bird Guns. I cannot recall the web site address, but you should be able to search for it. I believe he has some 16 ga guns in various configurations for sale.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.