Which one to buy 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Alan Griffith

Now that I've got my 30-06 Ackley Imp shooting to where I feel I can start pushing it out to long range /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif, I feel it's time to start purchasing some new items which I'm sure might/will be needed. I'm just not sure which order I should purchase them in.

1st item is a LRF. I've been reading plenty here and am favoring the Swaro but also find the Newcon 2000 very intriging, especially for the money. My old 1996 Bushnell, originally purchased for bow hunting, does fine to about 400 yds, but, well you know.....

2nd would be a pocket weather meter. The Kestrel 2000 and 4000 sold by Sinclair's look G2G. Please advise me if their are cheaper and better. As Understand it, temperature, altitude and wind effect bullets the most significant. The 2000 takes care of the wind and temp. My GPS should take care of altitude; and, if I'm correct, a weather meter measures altitude via air pressure not triangulated via GPS satellites. So, is the extra $159 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif worth it for the 4000 to measure humidity and barometric pressure?

The 3rd and last item is a hand held device to calc ballistic data. I would hope to obtain something which is
1. resistant to cold and moisure
2. tough enough to take the rigours of hunting
3. has decent battery life and uses batteries which don't cost alot such as Surefire flashlight batteries.
4. easy to use program under which the mental duress of a target getting ready to leave the AO doesn't cause me to stress /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif so much I can't make the calculations.

Thanks for any input you've got to offer.

GSSP, I was writing the same exact thing at the same exact time as AJ even about the Kestrel 2500 at Ambient Weather. That is the order I would do things too.

Gentlemen,

Thanks so much for the tip on priority and the 2500. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Next commercial I'm running down stairs and getting my Cabela's CC to order the 2500. The "Unit" is on! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts