Which model bipod for hunting?

I have an Atlas and use it for that purpose.mdont know the model, buy it has the quick release from the rail and pivots and cants. I got the short model, but a have extensions when needed.

I have an Atlas and have used a Harris for years. The Harris is light weight and durable, but not nearly as adjustable for slopping terrain as the Atlas. For that extra adjustability, you pay a price in weight.

9-13 Harris with Leg Notches & swivel head is 14 oz

Tall Gen 2 CAL with 2 screw clamp is 14.5 oz

I'm fine with the 0.5 oz extra for the increase in stability, haha.

I think I want to buy an Atlas bipod for Elk hunting. With that being said, I could be convinced to buy another brand. I already own a couple of Harris bipods so I don't need another Harris. When I look at the Atlas models, I see a lot of good reviews for the Cal Gen2 models. The PSR models are also popular, but I see ALOT of used ones for sale. I understand the differences between the Cal and PSR models, but when it comes to hunting, which model do you prefer and why?
I purchased the Hatch H.O. V-3 bipod and will never buy anything else. It has more features than those mentioned, lighter weight and has an infinite amount of adjustments for any terrain you may encounter. From 6-27" of adjustment and weighs only 19.6 oz. single button releases the bipod from the mount and it's storable and out of your way. Hands down the best I have come across. Just remember you get what you pay for!!!

Being able to attach and detach easily is a big plus for me with the Atlas. Especially when hunting on horseback, being able to put your rifle in a scabbard and quickly attaching your bipod. More stability also.

I purchased the Hatch H.O. V-3 bipod and will never buy anything else. It has more features than those mentioned, lighter weight and has an infinite amount of adjustments for any terrain you may encounter. From 6-27" of adjustment and weighs only 19.6 oz. single button releases the bipod from the mount and it's storable and out of your way. Hands down the best I have come across. Just remember you get what you pay for!!!

This ^^^

I have a Hatch, and have tried others including the Harris. IMO nothing compares to the Hatch as a hunting bipod...

I think I want to buy an Atlas bipod for Elk hunting. With that being said, I could be convinced to buy another brand. I already own a couple of Harris bipods so I don't need another Harris. When I look at the Atlas models, I see a lot of good reviews for the Cal Gen2 models. The PSR models are also popular, but I see ALOT of used ones for sale. I understand the differences between the Cal and PSR models, but when it comes to hunting, which model do you prefer and why?
In my experience it's rare you have a hunting situation where a stock mounted bipod will be useful unless you buy one of those tall Harris bipods out there. I tried to make a bipod and prone shooting work for hunting for years but I never had a situation come up where it was the best choice. Currently I use a Bog-Pod "Dead-Silent Shooting Sticks" to brace the rifle with in the blind and they work great. They are lighter than a Harris bipod and are easy to pack in and out and I use mine as a walking stick too if terrain gets too tough.

In my experience it's rare you have a hunting situation where a stock mounted bipod will be useful unless you buy one of those tall Harris bipods out there. I tried to make a bipod and prone shooting work for hunting for years but I never had a situation come up where it was the best choice. Currently I use a Bog-Pod "Dead-Silent Shooting Sticks" to brace the rifle with in the blind and they work great. They are lighter than a Harris bipod and are easy to pack in and out and I use mine as a walking stick too if terrain gets too tough.
I have killed a lot of animals and almost all of the animals I have killed outside of South Africa have been from prone with the bipod on the lowest setting. I am glad we have so many choices because of the different needs we all have.

I went round and round on a new bipod. At the end of the day I went with a Atlas Tall CAL bipod. Its so dang nice. I haven't taken it hunting since i got it after my season but will put it to good use next year.

I have killed a lot of animals and almost all of the animals I have killed outside of South Africa have been from prone with the bipod on the lowest setting. I am glad we have so many choices because of the different needs we all have.
Yeah, what works (or doesn't work) for me might not be true for the next guy. Where I hunt the grass is always about three feet high, so prone and a bipod is practically impossible on the ground even from an elevated position

I used an Atlas extensively this year in hunting season. It was horrible in the snow and freezing temps. I had nothing but problems all year. Next year I will go back to Harris bipods in hunting season. For long range during the summer the Atlas is king, its just not snow friendly.

I used an Atlas extensively this year in hunting season. It was horrible in the snow and freezing temps. I had nothing but problems all year. Next year I will go back to Harris bipods in hunting season. For long range during the summer the Atlas is king, its just not snow friendly.
What kind of problems did you have with the Atlas in the cold?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts